Saturday, July 25, 2009

Social Distortion July 22nd @ EEC



On Wednesday I got the chance to see Social D play at The Edmonton Events Centre (Red's). This was my third time seeing Mike Ness and the boys perform live. Social D is a great fucking bands that sing real life stories with an edge. The band was tight Wednesday night, a few problems I found with the show were, well it was a weekday for starts, the sound wasn't the greatest and I thought they could have had a better set list, but nonetheless, I really did enjoy the show.
Unfortunatelly, I missed the first 3 songs, having had to take the damn bus to the show,what a long fucking bus ride. I got into the show, just as they started the song "Sick Boys" which is a great song. During the set, Mike thanked everyone for coming out to the sold out show on a weekday. It was our pleasure, thanks for coming Social D. He then went into a little rant about having a good time, drinking beers and going hard. He then said, "how many of you in the crowd may be calling in sick for work Thursday, which got a huge applause, he said, if your boss has a problem, tell your boss to call me "Mike Ness", I'll explain,lol. Damn, Mike, I could have used your phone number Thursday morning, as I was feeling a little under the weather.
As for the setlist, like I say, I thought he could have cut out a couple of the cover songs, I do like his version of Ring Of Fire and his Hank Williams cover (Alone and Forsaken), but would much rather have heard some of his originals, he didn't play the song Angel's Wings, which is too bad, but I would have probably just cried through out the whole song. It is a great fucking song, google for the lyrics and check it out, amazing lyrics. One cover song he did play which caught me off guard was Maybelline, he rocked that song out hard. I had never heard him play that song before. One of the songs that they did play was Reach For The Sky, again, another amazing song.
I believe he played a couple of new songs too, a song called Can't Take It With You, which was really cool, and oh so true. And another called Bakersfield, I can't wait to hear a new album from Social D, it's been way too long since they have put anything new out.
All and all I would rate this show a 7 out of 10. I wish I could have seen them play Friday night, as they added a second show last week, after the first one sold out. But I already had my ticket for the first show and couldn't afford to checkout the second show. Social Distortion is a fucking wicked band and well worht checking out if you should ever get the chance.
Here is the set list for Wednesday nights show.
The setlist was:
The Creeps
Another State of Mind
Mommy’s Little Monster
Sick Boy
Don’t Drag Me Down
Ring of Fire
Bad Luck
Highway 101
Reach For the Sky
Can’t Take it With You
Ball & Chain
Bakersfield
Nickles & Dimes
Sometimes I Do
Alone & Forsaken
Prison Bound
Still Alive
Maybelline (wasn’t put on the setlist)
Story of My Life



1 comment:

  1. That set looks pretty much the same as Vancouver, except for Maybelline.

    ReplyDelete