Monday, March 19, 2012

A Saturday Afternoon of Acoustic Music 03/17/2012



Saturday afternoon I made my way to The Pawn Shop on Whyte Avenue in Edmonton for some live music. Being St.Paddy's Day the ave was hopping with some bars having line ups at 9 in the morning. Thankfully there was no line up at The Pawn Shop. They had live music starting at noon with the following acts. Starting with Ben Olson followed by James Davies, Ben Sir (Worst Days Down), Ian McIntosh (Owls By Nature) then ending with James Renton (Fire Next Time). I apologize for not knowing whom was on stage and names for the first few acts. I didn't hang there all day,but the acts I did see were great.

Not sure who the first guy I saw was, either Ben Olson or James Davies, but the next act I saw was Ben Sir of "Worst Days Down". I got him mixed up with another local singer songwriter Ben Sures,oops. Anyways, Ben Sir was quite good. A hell of a song writer with a great delivery in his singing. All acts were just solo with an acoustic guitar. Ben Sir had some great stories in his songs and is going to be an up and coming musician to watch for. I got to talk to him after his set. He is a very nice guy and was nice enough to give me a pre-pressing of his new Worst Days Down CD called "Money,God And Other Drugs. Mix Tape 1" and t-shirt of his. The CD is a chronicle of his travels through Central America, stories of characters he come across, and his travel experiences. He did all of this while working with a wildlife organization called ARCAS. Which is an organization for the Rescuing and Conservation of Guatemalan Wildlife.. According to the back of the CD, Ben Sir is working on a book and CD. He will be releasing a series of demos/mixtapes of acoustic songs to get the music out there and drum awareness of the project while he completes the book and album. To read more about Ben Sir, be sure to checkout
these sites. worstdaysdown.org and manateesandjackolanterns. I am looking forward to hearing more of Ben Sir's music and stories.

The last song of Ben's set he brought out James Renton and Ian McIntosh, all three on acoustic guitar to rock out an old punk song. They said it was by a Calgary act, but missed who it was originally done by, whomever it was, it sure kicked ass.

After stepping out to get a hair cut. First one in 9 years, and something I was super nervous about. I think I would almost rather be in a dentist chair. With a few beers in me before the dreaded hair cut, I was alright and managed to get the cut done, and have to say, I am ok with it. It didn't take me long to get out of that barber shop and get back to see some more live music.

Ben Sir, James Renton and Ian McIntosh (I think?).







CD from Ben Sir's "Worst Days Down" project.



T-shirt that Ben Sir gave me. Thanks!!!



I got back in time to catch James Renton's set. James Renton is the lead singer and guitar player in the local band Fire Next Time. This was my second time catching James play solo. I have yet to see him with is full band. But it is no let down seeing him solo. His set this afternoon to a small but appreciative audience, wasn't on stage or with a mic, as there was a band setting up for the evening. So James Renton just played on the floor in front of the bar to a small but enthusiastic crowd. James mentioned he had been drinking since 9am the day before, so we were getting a rough on the fly kind of show. Wow, impressive it was. With his rough whiskey soaked voice and his gritty guitar playing, this was an amazing set. Songs of drinking, songs about the streets, Fort McMurray and some funny entertaining stories in between. He had the crowd singing along and stomping there feet to his songs. Very entertaining and a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I wish The Pawn Shop would do these kind of afternoon shows more often. It's a great way to start the day with a little hair of the dog. A fun day. Good times!!!!

James Renton performing.







A little taste of James Renton's music.



In concert news...James Renton's band Fire Next Time will be opening for Big John Bates and Murder By Death show on Saturday March 31st at New City Legion here in Edmonton. This should be an awesome show.

No comments:

Post a Comment