Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Rest In Peace "Stompin' Tom Connors"



Just got word not too long ago about the passing of Canadian music legend Stompin' Tom Connors of natural causes at the age of 77 years. This is very sad news for myself and many other Canadians, as I have grown up with his music all my life. The very first album I ever owned as a child was Stompin' Tom's 1972 record "Stompin' Tom and the Hockey Song". As a kid I was a huge fan of hockey, watching and playing, and when I first heard this song I instantly fell in love with it. My parents bought me this album when I was six years old and still own that very album to this day. The vinyl still gets play on the ol' record player when the buddies and I are hanging out having a few and feel like belting out some tunes and carrying on. So many good memories of Stompin' Tom Connors music.



I feel very honoured to have had the chance to see Stompin' Tom in concert three times. The very first time was in October of 1998 at the Shaw Conference Centre here in Edmonton. And what a time that was, a crowd of all ages from Grandparents to little kids and all ages in between whoopin' it up and singing along and swilling beer. The second and third time was in 2001, July 6th in Calgary at the Jack Singer Concert Hall with my brother, this was a more intimate venue and show. It was awesome to see the man with my little brother, as I had git him into Stompin' Tom as a kid too. So we had a wicked time at that show. Then two weeks later I saw Stompin' Tom again in Edmonton at the Skyreach Centre which was a big venue for him. But it was set up cabaret style, with a dance floor up front, in which the floor was packed all night long. A lot of drinking going on at this show too.

Souvenier I bought at the Calgary show.



Ad from the 1998 show.





T-shirt from show.





Ad from the 2001 Calgary show.





Ad from the Edmonton show.





T-shirt from the 2001 show.





So many good memories of his music, but one of my all time faves was the time my buddy A-Bomb and I were in my bedroom in the basement of my parents place drinking beer and listening to the Stompin' Tom song "Luke's Guitar" from his 1971 album "Live at the Horseshoe" we listened to that sog over and over and laughed and sung along, I'll bet we listened to that song 30 some times that night, my Dad had to come to the basement and see what all the laughing was about. Good times!!!



In 2009 Canada Post issued a Stompin' Tom Connors stamp . The stamp was made to celebrate the music of musicians who've made "remarkable" contributions to Canadian music. When I heard about this, I rushed out to the post office to be sure to get one.





In 1995 Stompin' Tom released the first of two books written by himself, the first one called "Before The Fame" and the second book in 2000 called "The Connors Tone" both excellent books.



I don't know what else to say as I sit hear and listen to your music while writing this, songs such as "Bud The Spud", "Sudbury Saturday Night", "The Consumer Song", "The Ketchup Song", "TTC Skidaddler", "To It And At It" and of course the song that first introduced me to his music "The Hockey Song" and soooooo many others, I will be sure to keep your music alive and heard Mr. Stompin' Tom Connors. Be sure to tip a few you this weekend in honour of Stompin' Tom. You will be missed!!! Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment