Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Dave Hause Live in Edmonton April 19th 2018


Last Thursday my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Dave Hause show at The Temple, which a concert room in the same building as the Starlite Room. First time I have attended a show in this room. It's a decent room for a small space venue. Not sure what the room can hold, but by the time Dave Hause came on, I would guess about 150 people, which made the room pretty full.

The first artist of the night was James Renton the lead vocalist from the local band Fire Next Time. I haven't seen James or Fire Next Time in a couple of years, so I was looking forward to his solo set. The place wasn't very full for him but he still put on a good show. He still reminds me a bit of William Elliot Whitmore, a rough whiskey soaked voice like a Tom Waits. His music as FNT music is a mix of folk and punk sounding. I enjoyed his set, he played a couple of new tunes from the forthcoming Fire Next Time album Knives. One of them songs being "Collars". I'm really looking forward to hearing the album and seeing James with a full band in the near future.

James Renton.

Next up was Drew Thomson whom hails from Hamilton, Ontario and was once the front man for the band Single Mothers. I had heard of the band Single Mothers but never listened or followed them. So I wasn't familiar with his music at all, but have to say I thought he was pretty good. I thought his vocals could have been a bit louder but nonetheless, what I could make out, he seems like a pretty good songwriter. An artist I will certainly be looking into more.

Drew Thomson.

The headliner of the night was Dave Hause from Philadelphia, accompanying Dave, was his brother Tim. It was a year ago this month that I first saw Dave Hause in concert opening for The Bronx. I enjoyed his set so much that time, so when he was announced to be playing a solo headliner set this time around, I was excited about getting to see him in concert again.

For those that don't know who Dave Hause is, he a singer-songwriter and used to play in the punk/hardcore band The Loved Ones. Now a days his music is more along the line of Americana style roots music with some pop punk flavour.

Dave and Tim opened the show with a song called "Shaky Jesus" from his 2017 album Bury Me in Philly. Actually they played a lot of songs from this album including, "The Flinch", "Helluva Home", "Wild Love", "Dirty Fucker" and "Divine Lorraine", to name a few. Which was cool as I am a huge fan of that album. Dave Hause also played keyboard on a song called "The Great Depression" from his album Devour, sounded great too, also from that album was a song called "Autism Vaccine Blues". There were even a couple old songs from his 2011 album Resolutions, including the title song and "C'mon Kid". I had never heard this album before, but did pick it up at the show.

Dave closed out the night with the Tom Petty song "I Won't Back Down" which sounded incredible and had the whole audience singing along. What an awesome show. Good times!!!

Dave Hause.

A couple pieces of vinyl I picked up at the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment