Friday, June 29, 2018

Social Distortion Live in Edmonton June 15th 2018


Ya, I'm really late on this review but here it is anyways!

After a really rough week, I was some happy that I had a concert to go to Friday night. Nothing like unwinding at a Social Distortion concert. This show was the second of two sold out shows in Edmonton at Union Hall. This would be my fifth time seeing Social D in concert. On tour with Social D this time around were a couple of artists I had not heard of before, they would be Jade Jackson and Aaron Lee Tasjan.

I made sure to get to the venue early as I really needed to have some beers and hear some live music and was very interested in checking out the two openers.

First band of the night was Jade Jackson. Jade is a singer/songwriter out of Santa Margarita, California. Jade was backed up by a full band and plays a alt-country style of music with some punk grittiness mixed in. I thought she had a strong voice and a lot of energy. Seemed those that were already at the show were digging her as well. Overall I thought she put on a great performance. Jade Jackson's new album Gilded was just released in May on Anti-Records. You can also checkout her music on her bandcamp page by clicking here.

Jade Jackson at Union Hall.

Next up was Aaron Lee Tasjan again backed up by a full band. Aaron is a singer/songwriter from New Albany, Ohio. I really enjoyed these guys, Aaron is a great songwriter and his guitar playing is top notch, I thought he kicked ass, as did his other guitar player Brian Wright. There sound is a mix of southern rock, a hint of jam music with lots of emotion and passion. At times they reminded me of Parker Millsap, The Sadies and Drvin' N' Cryin', which makes sense as Aaron has played in Drivin' N' Cryin'. The guitar dueling of Aaron and Brian was like watching and listening to Dallas and Travis good of The Sadies, very impressive. I didn't know his music at all when I saw him but I was impressed enough that I picked up his last album called Silver Tears. One of the songs from that album he played called the "Hard Life" was excellent as was "Refugee Blues". Aaron has a new album coming out on new West Records at the end of August. I'll be sure to be picking that one up as well. This show made me a fan.

Aaron Lee Tasjan at Union Hall.

Headliner of the night Social Distortion hit the stage with the attitude and presence that we have come to know from lead singer Mike Ness. I loved the 1-2-3 punch of "Reach For The Sky", "Highway 101" and "Don't Take Me For Granted". A great way to start the show and the crowd was eating it up.

You know what you're getting with a Social D show, a meat and potatoes rock n' roll show. Social D is almost like a classic rock band now, but only punk rock. Having not released a new album since 2011's Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes. There was at least one new song that I had never heard before, I believe it was called "Over You" about of course a relationship break up. Other songs played that I recall were "Don't Drag Me Down", "Machine Gun Blues", an oldie "Mommy's Little Monster" and "Bad Luck". What disappointed me about the show was that I thought it could have been a better setlist. Mike Ness was in great form I thought. Missing was "Prison Bound" and two songs I really wanted to hear as they are very dear to my heart "Angel's Wings" and "Live Before You Die". It was cool to see Jonny "2 Bags" Wickersham playing in Social D, he did a great job, again if only they had played "Angel's Wing's" which was co-wrote by him. Jonny also used to play in the Cadillac Tramps another band I was a big fan of. All and all this was a good show and a great way to unwind from a tough week. Good times!!!

Social Distortion at Union Hall.

Aaron Lee Tasjan album I picked up at the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment