Saturday, November 19, 2011

Ballgag 'N' Chain Gang In Store 11/12/2011

Last Sunday my buddy Hurl and I went to Permanent Records here in Edmonton to see Victoria, B.C. band "Ballgag 'N' Chain Gang" play a free afternoon show. I had never heard of the band before til I saw an ad in a music paper "Absolute Underground" advertising their tour. I looked into the band and thought they sounded interesting, and the name itself caught my attention.

The band are on tour to promote their new album "Bang" which just came out in October. They play a style of music in which they call Ho-Tonk. The band consists of five members and a whole whack of instruments, banjo,guitar,drums,pedal steel,bass and didgeridoo. All the members take turns singing as well. The band is very energetic and get the audience involved with dancing, toe tapping,hand clapping,foot stomping and singing along to songs such as "Hookers and Blow" and "Everything Is Better With Bacon" (so true) everyone loves bacon after all. I was a small audience again at the store, but for those that missed it, you missed a fun 45 minute set. The band was playing at Blues On Whyte later that night, but being a Sunday night I wasn't able to go (damn work). I am betting they would be a real fun band to see in a bar with a belly full of drinks. All and all it was a great way to spend an hour on a Sunday afternoon, and a big thanks to Permanent Records for continuing to put on these free shows. Kudos, to you guys!!!

A few pictures from the show.

















No comments:

Post a Comment