Monday, October 31, 2011

Rick Springfield Book Review



I just recently finished reading the Rick Springfield memoir called "Late,Late At Night". This is one of the best music biographies I have read. Maybe because I knew absolutely nothing about Rick Springfield other then he sang "Jessie's Girl" and was an actor on the soap opera General Hospital. I had picked this book up for my brother last Christmas for full price as he has always had a soft spot for Rick Springfield. He had told me that he really enjoyed the book, so after seeing it for five dollars at a local bookstore, I thought what the hell, I need something to read.

Rick has a way with words and a great sense of humour in his writing. The book starts with the words to a song on the very first page. The song is called "My Depression" and sums up the whole book in one song. After the words to the song he sums it up like this.

" For anyone with a short attention span, that should cover the major details of my life, so you can put this book back on the bookstore shelf. For those of you who want to hear the deeper cut, many thanks and read on..." Rick Springfield.

A great way to start your book, and gives you a hint of how he writes.
The story starts with his growing up in Australia and struggling to make it in the music business. He talks about all the up and downs he has been in through out his career. His struggles with depression to the point of where he tried to hang himself as a teenager. To his stardom in the United States a teen heart throb and as an actor in the soap opera General Hospital and all his sexual escapades. I am sure this man could give Gene Simmons a run for the most sex with groupies. How his wife has stuck it out with him through all his cheating and such, is a story in its self. He has and still to this day has struggles with depression. He tells his story with warts and all. A really fun and interesting read. Even if your not a fan of Rick Springfield. You will have a new appreciation for this musician. Well worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment