Thursday, October 20, 2011

Big John Bates w/ A Bunch Of Marys In Concert 10/15/11



Last Friday my buddy Hurl and I went to see Big John Bates play at New City Legion in Edmonton. The main reason I went tot his show was to see local band A Bunch Of Marys again. I had just seen the band for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but was blown away and brought a friend with me this time to see them.

The first band of the evening was local band Whiskey Rose whom are a wanna be glam band. I don't have to much to say about them,other then they had the plug pulled on them after about forty minutes and a terrible cover of The Stones song "Honky Tonk Woman". Keep at it boys, you can only get better.

The next band was local band Fire Next Time, a band I had never seen or heard before. Not sure why, but the band didn't play as a whole, it ended up just being the lead singer James Renton on an acoustic guitar singing and strumming the guitar like a motherfucker and singing his heart out. He reminded me of William Elliot Whitmore and Nick Cave wrapped up in one. I was quite impressed with his short twenty minute set. I am looking forward to checking out his full band.

James Renton of Fire Next Time.


Next band up was A Bunch Of Marys also from Edmonton. The band is led by Mike McDonald who also used to front the Edmonton band Junior Gone Wild in the early 90's. This was my second time seeing the band play live within a few weeks. Again they put on a great show playing the same set as they did last time. This is a band well worth checking out.

Mike McDonald of A Bunch Of Marys.




The headliner of the evening was Vancouver band Big John Bates. This was my first time seeing the band perform live, and have to say they were pretty damn good. They play a punk/blues style of music. They are three piece band consisting of Brandy Bones on upright bass and Hagberg on drums. Brandy on the bass was entertaining climbing all over her bass as she played. All and all a fun band to see. Also, something I didn't realize, Big John Bates was the original singer the Canadian thrash band Annihilator from the early 90's. Hurl and I had a good time at the show, with plenty of beers and a few shots of whiskey. Good times!!! They had a decent turn out or the show, which was nice to see. Keep supporting live music everyone.

Big John Bates.


Brandy Bones.


Big John again.


As well at the show I saw Chi Pig lead singer of the old Edmonton punk rock band SNFU talking with Mike McDonald, oh the stories they could tell about the Edmonton music scene of the 90's. I had the chance to talk to both of them, they were very gracious and took the time to let me take a picture of them together and then one of me with them as well. Very cool guys.

Mike McDonald and Chi Pig.

No comments:

Post a Comment