Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Bunch Of Marys Live at New City Legion



On Saturday October 1st I made my way to New City Legion here in Edmonton to see local band A Bunch Of Marys open for Treeline. Also on the bill were Scenic Route To Alaska.

This was my first visit to New City Legion located on Whyte Avenue. I thought the bar was going to be a grungy bar, being in a basement and all, but was pleasantly surprised by the venue.

The main reason I went to this show was to see the band a Bunch Of Marys (great band name) for the first time. The band has been together for a little over a year I believe. The band is led by lead singer Mike McDonald (ex of Junior Gone Wild) also in the band are Kim Upright and Duane Elias, they are three piece band that remind me a bit of Elvis Costello and The Replacements. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I never really listened to much of Jr. Gone Wild, but was very surprised by how much I digged this band, very impressed, great rock with a little pop, gritty guitar playing by Mike, great lyrics and singing. They opened their set with the song "Living On The Northside". They played a 45 minute set that rocked through out. Although they don't have an album out yet, I am hoping they do release something soon, because this is a band well worth checking out. To checkout some of A Bunch Of Marys music, click here.

I also caught the first band Scenic Route To Alaska, another local band, a two piece band, my second time seeing them, they are alright, but nothing special.

I didn't stick around for Treeline, as I had seen them earlier in the day play a free afternoon show at Permanent Records. By the way Mike McDonald of A Bunch Of Marys is part owner of Permanent Records, take the time to buy some music from this great record store.

Mike McDonald of A Bunch Of Marys.







Front.


Back.


In concert news...A Bunch Of Marys will be playing at New City Legion again on Saturday October 15th with The Cavalry, Whiskey Rose, Fire Next Time and Big John Bates.

No comments:

Post a Comment