Saturday, December 17, 2011

Favorites Albums Of 2011

So the year is winding down, time to make my list of favorite albums (that I bought) and concerts (I attended) of the year. The list is in no particular order.

Favorite Albums Of The Year.

* Mariachi El Bronx - "Mariachi El Bronx II" on vinyl.
- Just picked up this album at the end of the year, I didn't much care for their first album but thought I would take a chance on this one. Sure glad I did, I'm digging this one. makes me want to do shots of tequila and eat tacos. Great album. Also the coolest colour of vinyl I got all year. Wish I had seen them open for Foo Fighters in October.

* Big Sugar - "Revolution Per Minute" on CD.
- This album took a while to grow on me, but after a few listens I really like it. Some good rockin' reggae. First album they have put out since 2001. Still a better act to see live.

* Fucked Up - "David Comes To Life" on vinyl.
- A great hardcore album by this Toronto band. I'm not much in to the hardcore but do like this album. Listen to this on a regular basis. Love the rough vocals and the tempo changes.

* The Black Keys - "El Camino" on vinyl.
- This release is a more up tempo rock album then there previous album "Brothers". Great ass shaking tunes.

* Wilco - "The Whole Love" on vinyl.
- The band back to being their weird selves. This album is along the lines of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. One of my very faves of the year.

* Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - "Mirror Traffic" on vinyl.
- Mirror Traffic sounds like his old band Pavement in a lot of places oh this album. I really like this one too.

* Deer Tick - "Divine Providence" on vinyl.
- This album feels like the boys sitting around the studio swilling beers and jamming. Way more rocking then their previous folk/country album "Born On Flag Day", which is also very good.

* Steve Earle - "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive" on vinyl.
- Steve getting back to his roots, a great album.

* John Popper & The Duskray Troubadours - "Self Titled" on CD.
- I hated this album on my first listen. I was so disappointed, cause I am a big fan of "Blues Traveler" and love John's voice. After a few more listens, it has now made my best of list for the year. A great Sunday morning album, also nice to listen to after a good night of drinking. Awesome voice.

* Blitzen Trapper - "American Goldwing" on vinyl.
- Love this album, reminds me of 70's folk rock music. Little bit psychedelic, great lyrics. Another one of my very faves.

* Ry Cooder - "Pull Up Some Dust And Sit Down" on vinyl.
- A somewhat political album, great song subjects, great song writing and an old school folk/blues album. Best album title of the year too.

* Beastie Boys - "Hot Sauce Committee Part Two" on vinyl.
- Not much of a fan of rap music at all, but you can't go wrong with the Beastie Boys. Old school rap music,loving this album. This shit makes me jump around my apartment suite pretending I know how to groove. So much fun.

* Middle Brother - "Self Titled" on vinyl.
- An album I read about in Rolling Stone magazine and had a hard time finding for the longest time. When I finally did get it, it was well worth the wait. A great twangy kind of album with (John McCauley) from Deer Tick on vocals. Actually this is the album that got me interested in Deer Tick. A fun indie folk album.

* My Morning Jacket - "Circuital" on vinyl.
- A jam heavy psychedelic listen.

* Drive-By Truckers - "Go-Go Boots" on vinyl.
- Southern rock at it's best, one of my favorite bands and records of the year.

* Chuck Ragan - "Covering Ground" on vinyl.
- Great singer/songwriter album by Hot Water Music lead singer, reminds me of Bruce Springsteen a lot.

* The Horrible Crowes - "Elsie" on vinyl.
- A mellow sounding album led by Brian Fallon of Gaslight Anthem. Took me a while to get in to this album, but do enjoy it now.

* Gregg Allman - "Low Country Blues" on vinyl.
- Been a long time since anything new from Gregg and the boys, but finally a solo album by Gregg, an album full of blues covers and a couple of originals. Love this album.

* Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears - "Scandalous" on vinyl.
- A band that my brother got me in to. If you need a funk fix, this is the album for you. Picks up where James Brown left off. Great funk music.

* Leeroy Stagger - "Little Victories" on CD.
- Another awesome singer/songwriter album. Gritty Steve Earle like music. The album was released last year, but just got myself a copy this year.

Ya, I know it's a long list, but then I bought a lot of new music in the course of the past year. Other albums I enjoyed that didn't make the list were by Paul Simon, Steel Panther, Cave Singers, Bob Dylan, C'mon, Avett Bros., Tom Waits and Anvil. A great year in music. Looking forward to seeing and hearing what comes out in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment