Friday, October 5, 2012

Freddie Mercury Book Review


I recently finished reading the book Freddie Mercury The Definitive Biography written by rock journalist Lesley-Ann Jones. The book came out in 2011. Not knowing much about Freddie Mercury but hvaing always enjoyed the music of Queen,whom he was the lead singer for, I figured this would be an interesting read. And, I was right.

The author did a lot of research and interviewed pretty much everyone that anything to do with Freddie and the band. Like all biographies the book follows him from his early years in India to moving to London and the highs and lows that Queen went through.

Sounds like Freddie mecury lived his life to the hilt, music wise, drugs and sexually. Freddie never did come out and say he was gay, although pretty much everyone figured he was anyways. Freddie's quote of "I'm not going to be a star,I'm going to be a legend" did come true, because when he was on, there were few vocalists that could match his range and enthusiastic energy.

The Queen comeback show in London for the Live Aid 1985 concert was a big turn around for the band as they were losing popularity in North America. But their performance at Live Aid may be one of the greatest live 25 minutes ever caught on film.



Sadly the music world lost Freddie Mercury to AIDS in 1991.

I found the book to be a very interesting read and would recommend it.

How I wish I could have had the chance to see Queen play live.

No comments:

Post a Comment