Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hot Water Music / Gaslight Anthem and Rise Against Live in Edmonton Oct.7th 2012


Sunday night I went to the triple bill concert of Hot Water Music, Gaslight Anthem and Rise Against at the Expo Centre here in Edmonton. I have to say this has got to be the worst venue for a concert in the city. It's a cavernous echoing tin box warehouse, fuckin' awful sound unless you are somewhere in the middle of the audience up close to the stage. If your not, the sound is just a big muffle of noise bouncing around the place. And that was even with a decent turnout of around 2500-3000 people.

The main reason I went to this show was to see Hot Water Music and Gaslight Anthem as I know absolutely nothing about the band Rise Against, and they were the headliners. Not hard to tell why though, as it seemed seven out of every ten people in the crowd were sporting a Rise Against t-shirt or hoodie.

First band of the evening was Gainesville,Florida hardcore band Hot Water Music. This was my fourth time seeing the band play live. And again they were well worth coming out to the show for. Hot Water Music are touring for their first album in eight years called 'Exister'. And the show in Edmonton was the last date of the tour for this triple bill. I got fairly close to the stage for Hot Water Music as I knew the sound would be terrible anywhere else. The band opened with the song 'Remedy' from their album Caution. Another tune from the same album played was 'Trusty Chords', both singers Chuck Ragan and Chris Wollard were sounding good, I especially like Chuck's raspy vocals, but when both singers would sing together that sounded incredible as well. In their short 35 minute set they also did a few songs from their newest including 'Mainline' and 'Drown In It', I am sure there may have been a couple others. A great way to start the evening. I was hoping they would play my favorite Hot Water Music song 'Rooftops' from the 1999 album No Division, but to no avail.




Next up was the New Jersey band Gaslight Anthem. This was my fourth time seeing this band as well. I made sure to get myself as close to the stage as I could, because if I didn't I wasn't going to enjoy the show. In front of the stage the sound was tolerable. Brian Fallon and the boys opened with 'American Slang' then went into the song 'Howl' one of seven songs they did from their latest release Handwritten. While I like the new album, there new songs sounded better live as they felt more raw. The band seemed loose and were having a good time with lead singer Brian Fallon telling a few stories and doing an impression of Hot Water Music's lead singer Chuck Ragan if he were to be The Hulk, that got a big laugh from the audience. Gaslight Anthem had Chuck Ragan join them on stage for the song 'The '59 Sound', that was cool. Their set was only about 50 minutes long which was way too short. Yet again, I thought Gaslight Anthem kicked ass.



A few pictures of Chuck Ragan from Hot Water Music joining Gaslight Anthem on stage.





Gaslight Anthem setlist.

American Slang
Howl
The '59 Sound
45
Biloxi Parish
Here Comes My Man
Mulholland Drive
The Queen of Lower Chelsea
Old White Lincoln
Desire
Mae
Great Expectations

Headliners of the night was the punk rock band Rise Against from Chicago. As I said before, I knew nothing about the band. I had enough of being in the midst of the masses, so I was on the outside of the big crowd that had gathered in front of the stage for Rise Against. Because I didn't know their music at all and being away from the stage the sound was god awful. I couldn't understand a thing and the music just sounded like a wall of sludge. For those that knew the music and liked the band, they were going over well. The crowd was in to it big time, singing along and moshing and carrying on. The band was energetic and had video screens behind them showing all kinds of activist videos. From what I could tell they are a very political band. I left about half way through their set as I couldn't take anymore of the shitty sound.




Rise Against setlist.

Survivor Guilt
Ready to Fall
Collapse (Post-Amerika)
The Good Left Undone
Broken English
Help Is on the Way
Drones
Disparity by Design
Re-Education (Through Labor)
Blood to Bleed
Satellite
Wait for Me
Prayer of the Refugee

Encore:
Swing Life Away
For Fiona

Encore 2:
Make It Stop (September's Children)
Strong Reaction
Give It All

Encore 3:
Broken Mirrors
The Strength to Go On
Savior

I will never understand why they book bands in this shitty venue,it surely isn't made to be a concert venue that's for sure. I will be avoiding this venue at all costs. Edmonton needs a decent mid size concert venue in a bad way. All and all a good night of music. Good times!!!

T-shirt front.


Back.


No comments:

Post a Comment