Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Mahones Live In Edmonton Jan.19th 2013


Last night I went and saw Canadian celtic punk band The Mahones play at New City Legion here in Edmonton on a very cold wintery night. The Mahones who are from Kingston, Ontario have been around since 1990, yet this was my first time seeing the band in concert, shame on me. I have listened to a few of their albums and have read a lot about them and finally got my chance to see them thanks to Katie McConnell the accordian player of The Mahones for putting me on the guest list for the show.

By the time I got to New City I had missed all of but the last two songs from the opening band locals Eyes On Ivan. They were a two piece band, one on acoustic guitar and a guy on mandolin. I can't say much about them having seen and heard so little.

Next band of the evening was another local band called Good Friday Massacre. This band woke up the crowd with there loud garage rock sound and attitude. The three piece band come out rocking and front man Miek Headache had great stage presence, attitude and skills to back it up. I was quite impressed with the band as many in the crowd seemed to enjoy them as well. i am looking forward to hearing and seeing more of them. I am thinking they are going to be an up and coming act in Edmonton to watch for.

Good Friday Massacre.



Headliners of the night were The Mahones. They came out playing their rowdy celtic up-tempo punk to a decent sized crowd. The Mahones are touring for their newest album "Angels & Devils" EP in which they played most of on this night. Not knowing their music as well as I probably should have, I was impressed with the gusto lead singer Finny McConnell sang with, if only you could hear the vocals better. The sound for there set was not good at all. Very muddy sounding with all the instruments bleeding into each other. What impressed me the most of the band was accordian player Katie McConnell's energy and playing, she was amazing, and very easy on the eyes too.

The Mahones music had everyone drinking, which is easy to do when lots of the songs have to do with drinking. I enjoyed their hour plus long set. I just wish the sound had been better. It also looks like the band was missing their mandolin/banjo player Sean Winter, that would have added another cool twist to their sound.

The Mahones.








All and all a fun night out, and again a big thank you to Katie for putting me on the guest list. One thing for sure is that it won't be twenty-three years before I see them perform again. Can't believe I had never gone to see them before. Can't wait to see The Mahones play again soon. Good times!!!

T-shirt front.


Back of t-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment