Sunday, March 23, 2014

Charlie Musselwhite and Ruthie Foster Live in Edmonton March 17th 2014


On Monday night my buddy Hurl and I went to the Charlie Musselwhite and Ruthie Foster concert at the Jubilee Auditorium here in Edmonton. This was my first time seeing both artists.

I have always wanted to see Charlie Musselwhite live, and on this evening I was finally getting my chance. I was happy to see that Charlie was the opening act for the show, as I wasn't in all honesty, cared whether I saw Ruthie Foster or not.

Charlie Musselwhite and his band hit the stage right on time and ripped through an hour long set, which ended with the audience giving him a standing ovation, which brought him out for an encore. Charlie just earned himself his first Grammy Award (Best Blues Album) for his album that he did with Ben Harper called "Get Up!" that came out last year. It is a great blues album and a well deserved award for this harmonica playing blues legend. At seventy years old, Charlie Musselwhite is looking healthy and sounding awesome, his voice was strong as was his harp playing. His back up band was quite good as well, especially guitar player Matt Stubbs. Charlie's style of blues went from down south delta blues to old school Chicago blues. All and all a great performance by Charlie Musselwhite and his band. Would love to him perform in a bar or outdoor festival setting.

After Charlie's opening set, he was out in the lobby signing autographs. I picked up his latest release "Juke Joint Chapel", a live album that came out in 2012.

Charlie Musselwhite at the Jubilee Auditorium.



Headliner of the evening was Texas native Ruthie Foster, this was my second time seeing her in concert having seen her open for Taj Mahal years ago. I only stayer for about forty-five minutes of her set. What I saw and heard was alright. She had a three piece band that were good. Ruthie was engaging with the audience a lot, telling stories and such, she did a few cover songs, one of them a Lucinda Williams song "Fruits Of My Labor". The lady has got a great voice, she can sing gospel very well and has a decent voice for the blues as well. She was good but not an artist I would go out of my way to see again. This show was not well attended at all, maybe about 700-800 people in a venue that holds 2500. Good times!!!

Ruthie Foster at the Jubilee Auditorium.


No comments:

Post a Comment