Friday, December 23, 2016

My Top Ten Concerts of 2016

This is always tough to come up with my favorite live shows of 2016. But here we go. All shows in Edmonton unless otherwise noted.


1. The Tragically Hip @ Rogers K-Rock Centre August 20th in Kingston, Ontario
What can I say about this show other then I was a very lucky guy to be able to attend what may be The Hip's last show ever, in their hometown to boot. An incredibly emotional show.


2. The Tragically Hip @ Rexall Place July 28th
Again this show was super emotional. I scored row 6 on the floor for this show the day before the event. An amazing performance by Gordie and the boys. Have never shed so many tears at a show in my life.

3. The Tragically Hip @ Rexall Place July 30th
Yes, the top three shows of the year for me were all Hip shows. This show was extra special because not only would or could be the last time The Hip play Edmonton. But I also had some great friends travel from BC to attend this show. Good times!!!


4. The Yawpers @ Freemason Hall October 7th part of the Up and Downtown Music Festival
This is a band from Colorado that I have been listening to for just over a year and finally got the chance to see them live when they opened for Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Plant. The Yawpers were so amazing live, full of high energy and gritty rock n' roll. So good!


5. Fantastic Negrito @ Heritage Amphitheatre July 23rd in Hawrelak Park part of the Interstellar Rodeo Festival.
A band I knew very little about before this show. Fantastic Negrito were the first band to hit the stage on day two of this festival. Am I ever glad I got there early as this band was the highlight of the festival for me. Xavier Dphrepaulezz whom fronts the band was very entertaining and full of energy. An amazing live band.


6. Jason Isbell @ Edmonton Folk Fest August 5th in Gallagher Park.
Have been a huge fan of Jason for years now and he blew me away closing out the Friday night of the Folk Fest. He rocked the hell out of the venue. Great great show.


7. The Temperance Movement @ Union Hall March 1st
A British blues/rock band, who rocked Union Hall. Reminded me of Free, Black Crowes and Rolling Stones old school classic rock sound. Lead singer Phil Campbell has a great voice and full of energy, kind of like a spastic Joe Cocker. Loved their show.


8. Mike Plume @ The Almanac March 24th
A great show by local singer/songwriter in a small intimate venue. Mike always puts on a great show. This show was special to me because it was the day before my birthday and I got to take my Dad to the show as well. An amazing solo show by Mike.


9. Sturgill Simpson @ Union Hall August 14th
An old school country show with lots of soul and attitude.


10. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds @ TD Echo Beach in Toronto, Ontario July 10th
Because I never got to see Oasis in concert this was going to be the next best thing. I really enjoyed the show, it was at a great outdoor venue and the price was right too. Good times!!!

This was tough picking my top ten shows of 2016. I usually just list my favorite shows in no particular order, but changed it up this year. It was fucking hard to pick just ten and in order.

Here are other bands I saw this year that deserve a shout out too.
Black Sabbath, Joel Plaskett, Danny Michel, Fred Penner, Voivod, Jr. Gone Wild and Margo Price.

Looking forward to a busy concert year in 2017. Good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment