Thursday, June 29, 2017

Ryan Adams Live in Edmonton June 23rd 2017


Last Friday I went to the Ryan Adams show at the Jubilee Auditorium, this was my second time seeing Ryan in concert. Ryan Adams is currently on tour promoting his latest release called Prisoner which is an excellent album by the way.

Opening the show was Karen Elson who is an English model singer-songwriter and guitarist. I had never heard of here before, so after a search about her I found out that she was married to Jack White at one point. As for her opening set, in one word I would say BORING! I only lasted about three songs and had seen and heard enough. It was very angelic mellow music, wasn't for me that's for sure.

Karen Elson at the Jubilee.

Next up was Ryan Adams and his Unknown Band. His two hour set was quite good, though I enjoyed his last show here in 2014 more, but that could be because it was my first time seeing him. Not that there was anything wrong with this show. The show started with some guy dressed up in a devil outfit introducing Ryan Adams in a distorted devil like voice, which was really weird. The devil dude later came out and played a little tambourine during one song. Ryan and his band touched on a lot of his music catalog opening with a new song from his Prisoner album "Do You Still Love Me?" followed up with "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)" from his debut album Heartbreaker, this was a great way to start the show, and then into "Gimme Something Good" from his self titled album from 2014. Overall I was quite impressed with the setlist for this show, as Ryan mixes up his shows every night which is cool. he did do one song that I had never heard before, a song called "Juli" which is a track that was released on a 7 inch box set of singles called End Of The World all from his Prisoner album.

At one point during the show someone in the first couple of rows sneezed which launched Ryan into an improvised tune about a light sneeze. Ryan has got a great sense of humour and this improvised song went on for a few minutes getting a good laugh from the audience. I believe it was during this song that Ryan took a shot at Metallica saying the bass was really low, kind of like the And...Justice For All album, again another chuckle from the crowd.

Ryan has been known to do the odd cover song during his shows and on this night he played the Oasis song "Wonderwall" which sounded great. They closed out the show with two great songs, that being "New York, New York" which is a song I was really hoping to hear and was starting to think he might not play it on this night, but he did, so that brought a smile to my face. They ended the night with another old song "Shakedown On 9th Street" from his debut album.

I really enjoyed the show. Good times!!!

Ryan Adams setlist.

Ryan Adams at the Jubilee.

T-shirt front.

Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment