Saturday, January 27, 2018

METZ Live in Edmonton Jan.20th 2018


After seeing Pal Joey in the afternoon it was time for a nap before heading to the Starlite Room to see METZ in concert.

I got to the Starlite Room in time to catch the first band of the triple bill. The first band of the evening was a local band called The Dead Fibres. I wasn't expecting much as I had never heard of them before, but much to my surprise they were really good. The room was far from full but still a decent crowd to catch the openers. The Dead Fibres are a three piece band that play a grunge/psychedelic/punk mix of music and were loud and noisy and on the chaotic side. Dead Fibres consist of drummer Brandon de Gans, guitarist Zach Mouallem, and vocalist and bassist Kennedy Pawluk. While I didn't know the songs at all and found it hard to understand most of the vocals, I was still very impressed, especially with guitarist Zach, he really left it all out on the stage. All three musicians are top notch. They made a good impression on me.

Dead Fibres at the Starlite Room.

Next up was another local band the Slates. This was my fourth time seeing the Slates in concert. By the time they hit the stage the club was filling up nicely. With the Slates I could at least understand the vocals and lyrics from lead singer/songwriter James Stewart whom also plays guitar. Helps when you have a few of their albums and have listened to the band for a few years. The band played a good selection of songs from their latest release Summery, songs such as "Coyotes" and "Yellowknife". Another local band well worth looking in to if you haven't already.

The Slates at the Starlite Room.

Headliner of the evening was the Ottawa band now based in Toronto the METZ. This trio are touring in support of their third album Strange Peace. This was my first time seeing METZ in concert, and wow, they were amazing. Another chaotic trio of musicians consisting of Alex Edkins on guitar and vocals, bassist Chris Slorach and rounded out by drummer Hayden Menzies. I'm betting these guys lose 5-10lbs playing the way they do. They certainly don't lack in energy that's for sure, these guys don't slow down one bit during the hour long show. Their music is loud, aggressive with lots of distortion. They opened the show with the song "Swimmer" from their second album simply called II. One of the older songs I recognized was "Headache" from the first album. I don't know the titles of the songs but can say everything I heard was excellent. A very impressive loud show. I forgot to bring ear plugs and got caught up in the show and didn't buy any at the venue, so needless to say my ears were a ringing on Sunday. It was worth it though. Good times!!!

METZ at the Starlite Room.

T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment