Saturday, September 29, 2018

Blitzen Trapper Live in Edmonton Sept.18th 2018


I'm so far behind on updates that it's about time I do a few. The first one I am doing from a show I saw last week. The Blitzen Trapper concert my buddy Buzzard and I went to last Tuesday. The show was originally booked for the Starlite Room but was moved to The Temple, still in the same venue, just a smaller room. With under 200 tickets sold, they moved it to the more intimate room.

The opener for this show was a three piece all female band called Candace hailing from Portland, Oregon. I didn't much care for them, I found their music to be boring.

Headliner of the night was Blitzen Trapper who also are out of Portland. This would be my fifth time seeing the band in concert. I've been a fan of the band since I first heard the album Furr. The tour they are on now is in celebration of the ten year anniversary of the album Furr, which Sub Pop has re-released in a deluxe double vinyl edition with previously unreleased material and a few live cuts.

The show started late, which sucked as it was a work night, which might also explain why there was such a small crowd, that and there was no advertising for this show. I saw no ads in the local entertainment magazine, no posters around town. A weekday show is going to need advertising no matter who the band is. My estimate would be maybe 125 people. With the show moved to a smaller room, it did feel intimate.

Blitzen Trapper started the show by playing the album Furr in it's entirety, which was super cool as there are a few songs on that album that I had never heard performed live before. And that album has bit of everything on it from psychedelic music, to folk music and just good old rock n' roll. Lead singer Eric Earley sounded great, at times he reminded me of a young Bob Dylan and at other times he was like an absolute madman on the guitar. After performing the Furr album, Eric did a couple of songs solo, before bringing the band back out to do some other material from there last album Wild & Reckless including the title song and a song called "Rebel". All and all I thought it was another amazing show by a brilliant band that deserves a better turn out then what they got here in Edmonton. Good times!!!

Blitzen Trapper at The Temple.

Limited edition silk screened tour poster 48/100.


No comments:

Post a Comment