Sunday, September 16, 2018

Jimmy Eat World Live in Edmonton Sept.8th 2018


Last Saturday I ended up going to the Sonic Field Day Festival held at Victoria Park here in Edmonton. I had absolutely no intention of going to this show, as from what I saw of the line up, the only bands I even knew were Jimmy Eat World and the Arkells. This is a festival that the local alternative radio station here Sonic 102.9 put on. They use to put on a tow day festival called Sonic Boom, but that got cancelled a few years ago. Looks like they have brought it back to life under a new name and only one day now. I guess I don't know much about these new bands as I don't listen to the station.

Well, as luck would have it, a buddy of mine "Metal" invited me to the festival as he had an extra ticket and was only interested in seeing Jimmy Eat World as well. So late Saturday afternoon I met him and some of his buddies at a local watering hole for some pre-drinks before we made our way to the show. I had been into the drinks for the better part of the day, so I was primed to get out and have some fun. After a few drinks we caught the shuttle bus to the festival site and got there about ten minutes before Jimmy Eat World started, talk about perfect timing.

As soon as we got there, I b lined it to find a drink and use the can, while I was doing that, I lost the whole damn group. But I made my way closer to the stage just as JEW were starting. As I was rocking out to the band, I turned around and lo and behold, there's the group I had came with. So that was cool, we all got to hang out and rock together, I figured I had lost them and I was on my own for the night, but nope.

I really don't know the band Jimmy Eat World all that well, I know a few of their songs, but not enough to say I am a huge fan or anything, just appreciate the pop punk songs that I have heard. Of course I think everyone has heard their biggest song "The Middle" which of course they played last, but man did that ever have the crowd singing along. That song really hit a nerve with me at this show with what's been going on in my life these days. Especially the chorus...

"It just takes some time
Little girl, you're in the middle of the ride
Everything, everything will be just fine
Everything, everything will be all right
"

I really enjoyed their set and wish they had played longer. After their set we headed to the back of the crowd close to the bar. Sadly they ran out of beer, which seems ridiculous for a music festival to run out of beers, so it was into the whiskey for a bit, until they ran out of that as well. Next up was rum. So needless to say we were all getting a pretty good buzz on by the time the last band of the evening the Arkells came on.

Jimmy Eat World at Victoria Park.

The Arkells a band out of Hamilton, Ontario closed out the festival. I had seen this band once before years ago when they opened for Wilco. I've never really listened to them and know next to nothing about them, so I wasn't expecting much. The gang I was hanging out at the show were all by the bar bullshitting and drinking as I was too, but I was actually surprised by the Arkells. They were entertaining and I had no idea they were as popular as they are. The band caught my attention here and there and overall were alright. Would I rush out to buy their albums or see them again, probably not, but kudos to them for getting as big as they have.

Overall this was a fun night out with a great bunch of people. Thank you Metal and JFK and rest of the group, I needed that. After the festival we caught the shuttle bus downtown and continued on with our evening with more drinks and laughs. It was nice to hang with an old friend and make new friends. Good times!!!

The Arkells at Victoria Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment