Thursday, January 24, 2019

Joey Landreth Trio and Altameda Live in St.Albert Jan.18th 2019


Last Friday my buddy Buzzard, Char and I made our way to St. Albert's Arden Theatre for the Altameda and Joey Landreth double bill. The main reason for checking out this show was seeing Altameda who actually are from St. Albert a suburb of Edmonton. So this was kind of a hometown show for the guys.

Altameda were opening the show, and this would be their first show of promoting their new album Time Hasn't Changed You, which is officially released this Friday January 25th on Pheremone Recordings. I've been a huge fan of this local band from the first time I saw them live a couple years ago as part of a Record Store Day after party. This would be my seventh time seeing Altameda in concert. The show was sold out and the place was packed for openers Altameda.

The first thing I noticed about the band when they hit the stage was that there were six of them on stage, as normally they are a four piece band and the boys were dressed sharp, have to look good I guess playing a theatre in your hometown. The extra two musicians for this show were Paul Arnusch on percussion and Darrek Anderon on steel guitar, who both added a new dimension to the tunes. Then of course you have the meat of the band which is Troy Snaterse on guitar and vocals, Erik Grice on drums and vocals, Matthew Kraus on keys and Todd Andrews on bass.

The band sounded great in this awesome venue, though I have to admit I prefer when it's just the four of them, but like I say, the two extra did add a new dimension to some of the older tunes. It was nice to hear them play some new tunes, though I have heard a few of them already as the band has had this album Time Hasn't Changed You in the can for almost a year, but got signed to Pheremone Recordings and had to hold off on releasing it for a while. The new songs like the single "Losing Sleep" sounded amazing as did "Rolling Back To You". The song which is kind of the album title song but not "Time Hasn't Changed Me" was great too. Songs played from their first album Dirty Rain played were "Borrowed Suit, Secondhand Dress", "Burning Down", "I Saw A Ghost Last Night" and the title song "Dirty Rain" all sounded amazing. The band put on a great performance and the crowd seemed to be eating it up. Watch for this band on tour out in western Canada here in the next couple of weeks opening for The Trews. Expect big things from Altameda this year. If you are a fan of roots rock in the likes of Ryan Adams, Petty, Wilco and such, this is band well worth looking into.

Altameda.

The new Altameda album.

Headlining the evening was the Joey Landreth Trio. Joey is one of the two brothers that make up the Bros. Landreth Band out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. I heard good things about them so was interested in seeing Joey Landreth in concert.

To start the show the band came out on stage and there were four members, what the hell, I thought it was a trio, not sure if it's a running joke or not, but it threw me for a loop. And Joey's brother David was in the band playing bass, so it was actually the Bros. Landreth, confused yet? I was! Anyways, I thought they were alright, Joey can play a pretty damn good blues style guitar and has a good voice, but it felt like he was holding back on the guitar. I would love to have just heard him rip it the fuck up, but it never did happen. There just wasn't anything that grabbed my attention. They were good but not great. Would I go see him again, probably not. Good times!!!

Joey Landreth Trio.


In concert news...Altameda will be playing two shows here in Edmonton at The Starlite Room opening for The Trews on Wednesday January 30th and Thursday January 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment