Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Loudon Wainwright III Live in St. Albert Jan. 25th 2019


On Friday Char, Buzzard and I made our way to St. Albert's Arden Theatre for the second weekend in a row, this time to see American folk singer-songwriter Loudon Wainwright III in concert. I have wanted to see Loudon in concert for a lot of years, so I was excited about this show.

Well after his 75 minute show I left very disappointed. Loudon looked good and his quite spry at 72 years old, and can still sing and play a decent guitar. But the bummer and frustration of this show was that his song choices weren't very good, I knew very few of the songs he played. And he did way too much talking. From telling stories, which I am fine with, but the stories were long and then he also read a long excerpt from a book he put out a couple years ago called Liner Notes Loudon Wainwright III On Parents & Children, Exes & Excess, Death & Decay, & a Few of My Other Favorite Things. I certainly did come to see Loudon read from a book. I'm sure it's an interesting read but I'll read it on my time thanks! He was really promoting his book and a Netflix show he has called Loudon Wainwright III: Surviving Twin which he reflects upon his relationship with his Dad in a night of songs and stories. Loudon's father worked for Life magazine for years. So ya, Loudon had to read one of his Father's articles too. Way too much talking through out the whole performance. I wanted to just yell at one point "play some fucking music", but I didn't. I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that either. With 26 albums out his choice of tunes weren't good. I did like one song I hadn't heard before called "The Wainwrights Go To Alaska", that was a good one with his sense of humour all over that song. I'd be surprised if he did over ten songs. All and all a very disappointing show. Not good times!!!

Loudon Wainwright III

No comments:

Post a Comment