Sunday, October 27, 2019

Thrush Hermit Live in Edmonton October 11th 2019


My buddy Buzzard and I went to the Thrush Hermit concert at the Starlite Room a few weeks ago. Thrush Hermit is a band from Halifax, Nova Scotia formed back in 1992 by Joel Plaskett. Thrush Hermit released to two full length albums Sweet Homewrecker and Clayton Park and a handful of EP's. Sadly the band disbanded in 1999 not long after the release of Clayton Park. I never did get to see Thrush Hermit in concert, but with the release of the 20th anniversary edition Clayton Park on vinyl, the band reformed and toured across Canada. I was very happy to get the Clayton Park album on vinyl on Record Store Day, then not long after when the band announced the cross country tour, now I was super stoked to finally get to see these guys perform live.

When I heard about the show I asked my buddy if he wanted to go see Joel Plaskett's old band in concert. With Buzzard being a big fan of Joel Plaskett as well, he was in. He didn't realize until the night of the show that Joel Plaskett was actually in the band and would be playing. He thought I had meant just seeing his old back up band.

What a fucking show this was, in my top shows of the year for sure. Thrush Hermit which is Joel Plaskett on guitar and vocals, Rob Benvie on guitar and vocals, Cliff Gibb on drums and Ian McGettigan on bass and vocals hit the stage with Ian balancing his three string bass on his nose (wish I had got a picture of that) and off they went into playing the Clayton Park album in it's entirety with the old neon Rock & Roll sign lit up behind them. Joel started the first song just on vocals, which was funny to see as Joel has always got the guitar strapped on. The band was incredibly tight with some cool jams thrown into the songs, they were certainly firing on all cylinders. This was the 11th show of their 14 date tour and man were they rocking. I would love to have been able to see this show a few more times. After playing all of Clayton Park they did some older songs "North Dakota", "On The Sneak" and "Strange To Be Involved" from Sweet Homewrecker. Plus a couple of songs "French Inhale" and "Patriot" from their EP's Smart Bomb and The Great Pacific Ocean. That was an hour and a half all out rock n' roll. It was awesome to see Joel ripping it up on the electric guitar again. The last couple of times I've seen him in concert they have been solo acoustic shows. An incredible show!!!

Thrush Hermit at the Starlite Room.

Opening the show was Shotgun Jimmie from Brandon, Manitoba. Jimmie is a one man show playing guitar, drum and vocals. His songs come across as personal and quirky. His set was pretty good but I was so excited about seeing Thrush Hermit that I had a hard time getting into his music.

Shotgun Jimmie at the Starlite Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment