Thursday, December 24, 2020

Black Friday Record Store Day Nov.27th 2020

Well it's been a month since the Black Friday Record Store Day, I guess it's about time to wrote about what I managed to get. I was impressed with the list for BFRSD, so I booked the day off from work and lined up at my local record shop Blackbyrd Myoozik here in Edmonton. I was surprised to see how few were lined up a half hour before opening. I was fourth in line, so I was pretty sure I was going to get what I was looking for, and I did well. Here is what I got.
* Drive-By Truckers - Plan 9 Records July 13th 2006. A triple live set from 2006 recorded at Plan 9 Records in Richmond, Virginia. I great set list, recorded well and I like how the album cover is an old school take on the classic bootleg album. A limited numbered release of 3800. Mine is number 2107.
* James McMurtry - Childish Things This is an artist I just recently got in to thanks to my friends Mike and Chris Plume. Originaly released in 2005, rereleased for the first time on vinyl this year. If you're a fan of singer/songwriter Amricana this is a good one. A limited release of 3000 on transparent blue.
* Lou Reed - Live At Alice Tully Hall - January 27, 1973 - 2nd Show This recording is from Lou Reed's live debut of being a solo artist. This was a must have for me. A limited release of 5000 on burgundy coloured vinyl.
* Lou Reed - Magic And Loss A re-issue of Lou's 1992 album. I have this on CD but had to have it on vinyl for my collection. Have always liked this album, so it was another must have. Limited pressing of 3300.
* Motorhead - Ace Of Spades 12 inch single. I wasn't necessarily going to pick this up, but being caught up in the moment of buying records, I bought it. And with Xmas around the corner, you have to have an album cover of Motorhead in Santa outfits. The single which is on red vinyl and a pressing of 2500 has three songs. Ace Of Spades of course, and a instrumental version of said song and the song Dirty Love which is a song from their rehearsals from the Ace Of Spades album. The single also came with a Xmas ornament which is just a cheap Warpig Santa Christmas ornament. Still cool nonetheless.
* Motorhead - On Parole (Expanded and Remastered) I've never owned a copy of this album that originally came out in 1979, so I was happy to get the reissue. On Parole was supposed to be their debut album as it was recorded in 1976-76, but never saw the light of day until 1979. It is the only Motorhead album to feature the band's original line-up of Lemmy on vocals and bass, Larry Wallis on guitar and vocals, and Lucas Fox on drums. A limited release of 3000 pressings.
* Uncle Tupelo - Live at Lounge Ax - March 24, 1994 A double live album recoded in Chicago originally broadcast live on WXRT. This album was a must have for me as well. Limited pressing of 2500.
* Willie Nelson - Live at Austin City Limits 1976 This album wasn't on my radar when I went to the record shop, but ended up picking it up. Willie and his band perform his classic album Red Headed Stranger front to back. An excellent recording released on audio for the first time. Limited pressing of 4000. And the last record from Black Friday Record Store Day is an album that no shops here in Edmonton got. I had my brother look for it for me in Vancouver. And lucky me, he found a copy for me. Thanks Citrus!!!
* Masters Of Reality - Sunrise on the Sufferbus Masters Of Reality was a band I have always been a big fan of, so when I saw this was going to be released on vinyl for the first time, I had to have it. And like I say, no luck here but thanks to my Bro. I now own a copy. The hype sticker on it says debut album, but it actually there second album. Limited release of 1500 copies and pressed on clear vinyl. So I did very well on Black Friday Record Store Day. The only album that I didn't get and really wanted was the Beat Farmers - Live at Spring Valley Inn 1983 album. Oh well, I guess you can't everything, unless of course someone can help me out here. If so please get in touch with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment