Thursday, May 9, 2024

Wild T & The Spirit Live in Edmonton May 3rd 2024

  

 Last Friday my buddy Buzzard and I went to see Wild T & The Spirit at Blues On Whyte. This would be the ninth time I have seen Wild T (Toney Springer) in concert. He was doing a two night stand at Blues On Whyte, but the Friday night show was billed as a Jimi Hendrix tribute show which had me very intrigued. Wild T got his start as as a Jimi Hendrix tribute act. I've seen him many times live but never as a Jimi tribute. The following night he was also playing Blues On Whyte and that show was billed as Toney Springer which I had never seen before either. It's always billed as Wild T show. Anyways, I figured this should be a good show.

 Well it wasn't. Wild T & The Spirit hit the stage and the first thing he said was that there had been a miscommunication between his agent and the booking, this wasn't going to be a Jimi tribute show. Not off to a good start. I wouldn't have bothered with this show had I known that. But here we were, hopefully it would be a good show. It wasn't very good at all. He did do a few Hendrix tunes, but he butchered them, he did a few Bob Marley songs, a James brown song and a few of his own tunes. His between song banter was embarrassing, saying things like "sit on my face and I'll guess your weight", also mentioning how did Michael Jackson hit those high notes? In which he would grab his crotch and squeal and doing that more times then he needed to, to hit the high note. Really, last time I heard those kind of juvenile things was back in Junior High School. Just not cool at all. Had me and a few others on the sparsely attended show cringing. The highlight of his performance for me was one of his own song from his 1991 debut album Love Crazy when he did the song "Crash & Burn", he rocked the hell out of that song, sounded awesome, that's the Wild T I like. Overall this was a very disappointing show!





No comments:

Post a Comment