Saturday, May 9, 2009

Favorite Shows of 1997

Another year, another list of favorite shows that I saw in 1997.
After finally getting to see KISS in 96 in Vancouver with the make up on, they finally made their way to Alberta for a couple of shows in Calgary and Edmonton. And of course, my brother and I were all over that. We went to both shows back to back and had a great time at both of them. My Bro and I did sid for the Edmonton show, and once again lost our minds, as we had row 12 on the floor for the Edmonton show, which meant we had Gene staring us down for the whole show.I took Donna from the PO to this show. In Calgary it was just my brother and I that went.



Then on June 14th I went and saw U2 play Commonwealth Stadium. I wasn't really a big fan of U2 but thought I had to see this show as it was huge production and to see them play for 60,000 people is always a spectacle. I left this show being a big fan of U2. They put on an excellent show, and I enjoyed the opening band Fun Lovin' Criminals as well. They ended up playing 2 shows as the first one sold out so quick. Well after seeing them play the first show, I went to the second show on the 15th as well. I bought a ticket at the show for 20 dollars, nice deal.



On July 28th A Bomb and I went to see The Bloodhound Gang play at The Rev. This show we almost didn't go to cause it was a week night and we are lazy fucks. Am I ever glad that we decided to go, this was an awesome show and a lot of fun. A good time was had for sure.

Shit, almost forgot, before the Bloodhound Gang show, on July 19th in Camrose was the Another Roadside Attraction show which is a festival that The Tragically Hip used to put on. What a great time this was. We had several cars travel to this show, Warren, Kim, Chantel, A Bomb and myself and others all went. This was an excellent line up with Van Allen Belt, Ron Sexsmith, The Mutton Birds, Change Of Heart which rocked the grounds big time, Los Lobos which were awesome, they had A Bomb and I dancing like I have never danced before, the sid helped I think, hell A Bomb was even singing in Spanish and knew the words, how, I have no idea, but what a fucking excellent set Los Lobos put on, next up was Wilco, which was my first time seeing them, they rocked too, and after Los Lobos some lady gave me mushrooms which really made Wilco sound good. I was rocking now, let me tell you. After Wilco was Ashley MacIsaac the whacked out fiddle player, he was good as well. Next up was Sheryl Crow who did nothing for me, and then finally The Hip which were great as per usual. All and all, what a day of music and tripping out. Oh ya, and the beer gardens, lets just say it was hell. You wanna see drunks, holy shit, even I couldn't handle being in the beer gardens. Good times!!!!

In 1997 Edmonton had another big show at Commonwealth Stadium, this time The Rolling Stones again on Oct 2nd with Blues Traveler opening, awesome double bill. Once again the Stones were excellent and I really enjoyed seeing Blues Traveler. This was my third time seeing the Stones and they didn't disappoint. For some old timers and what they have been thru, they sure do put on a good show.

Other shows I saw in 97 were Big Sugar with Big Rude Jake at The Convention Centre, Let's Go Bowling with Mad Bomber Society at the Rebar on Whyte Ave., David Wilcox at Myer Horowitz Theatre, Bush with Veruca Salt at The Coliseum, Weezer in Calgary at MacEwan Hall Ballroom, Alberta Classic Rock Weekend in High River,Alberta the bands that played at this fest were Rik Emmett of Triumph,Deep Purple,George Thorogood,Nazareth,Pat Travers,Blue Oyster Cult shit bands like Prism,Chilliwack and others, it was a fun weekend, lots of drinking and carrying on, another festival I saw this same year was Edge Fest held at Commonwealth Stadium ( the old stadium was a busy place that year), bands at this fest were Our Lady Peace,Tea Party,I Mother Earth,Silverchair,Redd Kross,Econoline Crush,Glueleg,Age of Electric and others, Moe at The Rev, Jethro Tull at The Jubilee Auditorium, and finally Joan Jett at the Thunderdome another fun year of concerts. Good Times!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, that KISS show in Edmonton was one fucked up night! I'm still unsure of what really happened that night. A good portion of the songs played at that show were indescribable sounds, or at least to me ears they were. And for the KISS Calgary show Geddy was there too. Did he come with you? I just remember after the show he was with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! I finally figured out how to post on this blog site. That Los Lobos during Roadside was unbelievable wasn't it? I've never even taken a single spanish class either. Great fuckin time. "Warren...I need a sub, Warren I need to go pee." Remember passing people in the line up to get into the site?

    ReplyDelete