Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Favorite Shows Of 1999

I didn't see a lot of shows in 99, but the ones I did see were quite good, and three of them were in Vancouver.
One of the shows I saw was Motorhead at a bar called Cowboys here in Edmonton. ya, Cowboys, if you can imagine Motorhead playing a cowboy bar, but they did, and what a fuckin' show it was. I hadn't seen Motorhead play in something like 10 years, well since they opened for Alice Cooper in the late 80's, so to see them play a club was going to be wicked, and it was. This show was incrediblly loud, my ears rang for 2 days after this show. I went to this show with Psycho. A good time was had.


June 11th had me travel to Vancouver to see two folk music legends play together. Bob Dylan and Paul Simon at GM Place in Vancouver. Paul Simon opened the show with a 75 minute set, followed by Dylan doing an hour and a half set then with both musicians sharing the stage for a couple of songs together, which was damn cool to see. Tickets were expensive for this show, but well worth it in the long run. After all, who would have thought you would ever see these 2 play together. I had row six on the floor for this show, excellent seats. A few years later I ended up finding a video bootleg of this very show, which is cool to look back on.


In July, I made yet another trip to Vancouver for the Ozzfest show on July 16th, I got to Van. on the 15th and found out that Pavement were playing the day before Ozzfest, so I thought I would check the show out.
Pavement were playing the Vogue Theatre on Granville Street. Vogue Theatre is a cool venue to see a show. I did a hit of sid for this show and sat in absolute amazement through out the whole show. the opening band was a band called US Maple. I had never heard of the before or since, but wow, they were fucking awesome, a lot of the people in attendance were actually booing them, but I thought they were amazing, maybe it was the drugs,lol. They were a whole lot of noise with an excellent guitar player. I was hooting and hollering through the whole set. Noise and psychedelia hardcore. Then next was Pavement which too were awesome, again good psychedelic music. All and all just an amazing night of music. I really really enjoyed this show and was a fluke that I ended up going to it. Pavement broke up not long after this show.

July 16th was Ozzfest in Vancouver at Thunderbird Stadium, which was the main reason I had travelled to Vancouver for. This was the one and only time Ozzfest was ever held in Vancouver and what a line up it was. I got to see a lot of bands I had never seen before at this festival. The original line up of Black Sabbath were the headliners and were fucking awesome, it was cool to see the might Tony Iommi play and Ozzy was sounding great, the whole band was on this night. Fuckin' wicked to finally get to see the ultimate metal band. Other bands I saw for the first time were Slipknot, the first album wasn't even released in Canada yet when they played this show, and what a freak show that was. I really enjoyed them and became a fan of them after seeing them perform. I also got to see Primus, who were also awesome. Slayer played in the afternoon, which was weird to see with the sun beating down and Slayer in all out thrash mode. That was the most brutal mosh fest I had ever experienced, it didn't take me long to get the hell out of that, I backed out in a hurry. But Slayer were excellent. Rob Zombie was good as well, Deftones were alright and System Of A Down were excellent too. They hadn't it hit big by this time, and only had one album out at the time.
My biggest complaint about this festival was no booze being sold at the venue. Can you imagine, a metal fest with no booze. I was so disappointed, now I know why I saw people digging up the grounds when they got in. Obviously they knew about the no booze thing, cause I saw people dig up there alcohol from the ground, that was good thinking. As for pot though, that was a whole other story, the place was one big cloud of smoke through out the whole day. And at the end of the show, it was quite the sight to see the grounds covered in empty baggies all over the place. All and all an excellent show and well worth the trip to Vancouver for.


Other shows I saw in 1999 were The Tragically Hip with By Divine Right in Red Deer at the Red Deer Centrium, Less Than Jake with All,Good Riddance and Limp at the Old Scona Bus Barns, Weird Al Yankovic at the Shaw Conference Centre, Coal Chamber with Slipknot and Dope at the Golden Garter, George Thorogood at Red's, and finally the last show of the 90's Big Sugar New Years Eve at the Shaw Conference Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment