Saturday, June 13, 2009

Leeroy Stagger at The Haven Social Club


On Thursday June 11th, I finally got to see Leeroy Stagger play live. My brother has been hyping him for at least a year now,Leeroy being a Vancouver artist, my brother had seen him play a few times before. I have a few of his albums and have to say he is quite good live as well.
I had never been to The Haven Social Club before, it's been open for a year now, it's on 151st and Stony Plain Road, not the best location for a live music venue, but have to say it's an excellent venue, very intimate. It's in a basement and holds maybe a couple hundred people. For the Leeroy Stagger show there were maybe 50 people there, not a great turn out, but he still played like he was playing for a packed club.
The opening acts were Carrie Catherine, a solo artist, and she was actually quite good. Next up was local band The Wheat Pool, I had heard and read lots of good things about this band, but have to say, I wasn't really all that impressed. They didn't suck, but weren't real good either.
As for Leeroy, he put on a good show and played for about an hour and a bit. Leeroy Stagger kind of reminds me of an edgier Steve Earle. I would recommend checking out his albums if you like Steve Earle kind of music, folk/rock kind of thing.
All and all I would give this show a 7 out of 10. Good times!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment