Friday, August 21, 2009

Favorite Shows Of 2002

The year 2002 wasn't the greatest year for shows here in Edmonton, but I did manage to get out to few good ones.
The first show that really sticks out for me of the year, was the Corb Lund Band show for the album release party of "Five Dollar Bill" at The Dinwoodie Lounge on June 1st at the U of A campus. This is an excellent venue to see a show. I believe this was one if not the first time I saw Corb Lund perform live. And he put on an awesome fucking show and have seen him many times since. I went to this show with Lorreine.The opening bands for this show were Whitey Houston and The Uncas Old Boys.


On August 27th I got to see Bob Dylan play the Skyreach Centre. Again, this was a typical Dylan show, I loved it, but I am sure many people left disappointed. He never plays the same show or songs the same way at any shows. I thought he was on for this show, he was rocking and had the ol' shuffle happening to, looked like he was having a great time. I was able to tell, cause, well after all, I did have row 1 on the floor for this show.
Funny story, I actually had won tickets for this show from K97 (Edmonton radio station) but the day before the show I managed to score row one seats from ticketmaster. So I sold my other tix to my Cuz and a friend of his. Again, I went to this show with Lorreine.


Then on August 28th I saw Wilco play at Red's in West Edmonton Mall, fucking hate that venue, but sometimes you just have to put up with the shit hole to see a good band. I went to this show with A Bomb, whom I had to talk into going to this show the night of. I know after the show he was very glad that I did talk him into it, he got his ticket at the door. And I managed to get a ride to and from the show, thanks A Bomb. Wilco put on a great show, I believe if I recall correctly, this was one of his more psychedelic shows that I have seen them put on. What I do remember, and A Bomb and I both commented on it, was all the people talking during the show, chitter chatter chitter chatter, fucking drive me nuts. Shut the fuck up and listen to the tunes people. Visit after the show retards!!!! Still, all and all another great performance by Wilco.


On Friday September 13th the band Lowest Of The Low did a reunion show at The Rev. The opening band for this show was Greg MacPherson. This was the third time I had seen Lowest Of The Low and first time I had seen them since I sold merchandise for them years ago at People's Pub. Lowest Of The Low put on yet another excellent show with a video screen playing in the background, which had them being recorded from the bus they were in. Was kind of cool to see them come trhough the city and seeing make there way to the venue. Overall this was a great show, I went to this show with BZ, Mook and Lorreine. Lowest Of The Low were and are a very under rated Canadain band. It's really too bad they aren't around anymore. I highly recommend there first album Shakespear My Butt.


Next up, was another road trip. This time it was to Vernon, B.C. to see The Tragically Hip with Sam Roberts opening at the Vernon Multiplex. My friend A Bomb and I made the trip to Vernon to see this show, as we hadn't seen The Hip play a smaller venue since we first saw them play The Convention Centre here in Edmonton. That, and we had a good friend in Vernon where we could stay for the weekend. i went to this show with Scotty, his girlfriend Sweety Pie and of course A Bomb. We got nice and primed for this show and had a great time. It was also the first time I had seen Sam Roberts play and he was excellent and as always The Hip put on a great show.

On October 6th, I went to see Tool with opening band Meshuggah play the Skyreach Centre. And wow, what a fucking show this was. I wasn't a big Tool fan for many years until the album Lateralus, which is a great album. Seeing Tool play live is an experience, to me it was like seeing a modern Pink Floyd, sure the tunes are a bit heavier, but the light show and psychedelic and just plain weird images they had playing on the screens on stage were incredible. This was just a very very trippy show, with lots of pot being smoked at this show.. I fuckin' loved this show and would go out of my way to see them perform again anytime.


On November 9th I saw Nomeansno with Whitey Houston open at The Rev. I had never seen Nomeansno before and they were fucking excellent. They are an old school punk band from Victoria, B.C., these guys must be in there 50's by now, but you would never have guessed it with the performance they put on. This was a really good time.


October 21st, I saw The Corb Lund Band play for the second time this year. This time the show was at The Power Plant on the U of A campus, another great venue to see Corb play at. The opening bands for this show were Carolyn Mark and The Swiftys.
Corb as usual put on an amazing show.


Other shows I saw in 2002 are as follows, Lisa Otey at the Yardbird Suite, Big Sugar at The Joint in West Edmonton Mall, Fu Manchu with Speeddealer at The Rev, The Warped Tour in Calgary which included the bands Bad Religion,Mighty Mighty Bosstones,Flogging Molly,Hot Water Music,Anti-Flag and Death By Stereo, Danko Jones at The Likwid Lounge, Strung Out with Snapcase and Rise Against at Red's, Rush at The Skyreach Centre, and finally John Prine with Todd Snider at The Jubilee Auditorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment