Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Faves Of 2009

So, the end of yet another year. Thought I better get my list of favorite albums,DVD's and concerts done before the start of a new year.
Overall I thought it was quite a good year for music, and am hoping 2010 is as good if not better. I already have tickets for some upcoming shows Steve Earle,Wilco and U2, so it's shaping up to be a good one for live music. The lists are in no particular order. Feel free to leave a comment with your lists of faves.

FAVORITE ALBUMS OF 2009
* Wilco - The Album (another great album by a great band)
* Bob Dylan - Together Through Life (Bob just keeps getting better)
* Band Of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey (best album title of the year)
* Van Morrison - Astral Weeks Live At The Hollywood Bowl (Van the Man still has a voice that send shivers through me)
* Flaming Lips - Embryonic (another great album from these freaks)
* Cornershop - Judy Sucks Lemon For Breakfast ( a great album title and a very groovy album)
* Mike Plume - MP830NFLD (one of my very favorite albums of the year,great great songwriter) Canadian from Edmonton
* Steel Panther - Feel The Steel (old school glam and so rude)
* William Elliot Whitmore - Animals In The Dark (great songwriter with a gritty voice,love this album)
* Rancid - Let The Dominoes Fall (great punk rock,"Up To No Good" great song and time hey Earl,lol)
* Levon Helm - Electric Dirt (great follow up to last years album Dirt Farmer, and word is he may be playing the Folk Fest here this year)
* Black Crowes - Before The Frost... Until The Freeze (awesome double album recorded live at Levon Helms, best album they have done since Amorica, good times hey A-Bomb,lol)
* Frank Turner - Poetry Of The Deed (really had no idea about him til I saw him open for Gaslight Anthem, great songwriter and performer from England)
* Joel Plaskett - Three (by far my most fave of the year, triple album with a theme of 3 and not a bad song on it) Canadian Band from Halifax
* Grady - Good As Dead (some real rock n' roll with wicked guitaring, Gordie Johnson is so underrated) all Canadians based in Texas
* Marah - Angels Of Destruction (ya it was released in 08, but I only got it this year and love it)
* Black Joe Lewis and The Honey Bears - Tell'em What Your Name Is (fun funky band that my brother told me about after seeing them open for Lucero in Vancouver)
* Lucero - 1372 Overton And Park (great rock n' roll, digging the horns in this album, please come play Edmonton)
Honourable mentions to new albums by Weezer,Neil Young's Archives Volume One,Shout Out Out Out Out,Corb Lund,Eminem,Future Of The Left,Slayer,Leeroy Stagger,Derek Trucks Band,AC/DC and Ace Frehley.

FAVORITE DVD's OF 2009
Not that i bought a lot of DVD's, but these are my faves.
* Black Crowes - Cabin Fever (cool to see them play these songs at Levon's, great performance)
* Old Crow Medicine Show - Live at The Orange Peel and Tennessee Theatre (wow, this is such a fuckin' good DVD, I have watched this numerous times and love it everytime I watch it, wish they would come to Edmonton too)
* Neil Diamond - Hot August Night NYC (must be getting old here, as I love this show)
* Nirvana - Live At Reading Festival( Nirvana at their best)
* Wilco - Ashes Of American Flags (great performance, these guys can't go wrong)
* Rolling Stones - Shine A Light (for old fuckers, they still rock and put on a good show)

FAVORITE SHOWS OF 2009
I saw some awesome shows this year, it's hard to pick out the top ones, but here we go.
* David Byrne @ the Jube (wasn't really into going to this show, a friend of mine got me a ticket, am I ever glad I saw it, great show)
* Shout Out Out Out Out @ Starlite Room (Earl and I had a great time at this show and froze are fuckin' nuts off walking and falling home from this show)
* Gaslight Anthem @ Starlite Room (great rock n' roll show, good venue good times)
* Neil Young @ Rexall Place (best I have seen him)
* Leonard Cohen @ Rexall Place (good show, he made the coliseum feel like a smokey intimate venue)
* Joel Plaskett @ McDougall Church (ya, a church,great sound,awesome show)
* Social Distortion @ EEC (old school punk/rock)
* Mike Plume @ Myer Horowitz Theatre (just him and a guitar, small crowd but great show)
* The Hold Steady @ Starlite Room (first time seeing them, awesome show,great venue, good times)
* Gaslight Anthem @ EEC (great bill, 4 great bands, some real rock, excellent time had at this show)
* Grady @ The Pawn Shop (loud and rocking, my kind of show, good venue for this band)
* Mike Plume @ The Brixx (full band this time,small venue, good music, good times)
* King Khan and BBQ Show @ The Pawn Shop (fun fucking show, went to this show after reading about them and my bro recommending I go)

Happy New Year all, keep on rockin'!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment