Monday, August 27, 2012

Refused w/ The Bronx in Edmonton Aug.25th 2012


Saturday night I went to the Refused and The Bronx double bill at Edmonton Events Centre. The show was originally supposed to be at the Shaw Conference Centre in downtown Edmonton got moved because of lack of ticket sales. The Shaw Conference Centre holds 5,000 people as EEC holds about 1700 people, so tickets sales weren't as good as expected. The EEC is at West Edmonton Mall of all places. I have never been a fan of the venue and a big part of that is because it is a long ways from the southside of Edmonton. Regardless, I wasn't going to miss this show. When the show was first announced, they hadn't named the opening band, so I was hesitant on paying the 50 dollars to see Refused. But about a month ago they announced that The Bronx was opening, I was then all over this show. I love The Bronx, and the chance to see the reunited Swedish hardcore punk rockers Refused was to good to say no to.

Openers The Bronx from Los Angeles have been a band I have wanted to see for about 6 years now and this evening was going to be my opportunity. The band last played here last fall opening for Foo Fighters, but that version of The Bronx was their Mariachi version (Mariachi El Bronx), that's right, they also perform as a Mariachi band, how cool is that. But for Saturday nights show, it was balls to the wall punk fucking rock. Lead singer Matt Caughthran hit the stage in a ball of fury screaming at the top of his lungs, and holy fuck can this guy scream. I think he had a lot to release after doing the mariachi thing for the past year. His stage presence, the way he moved and shook his head while singing reminded me a bit of Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip only amped up by a million. The Bronx played for a full hour and were full on through out their set. At one point during the song 'Knifeman' Matt jumped in to the crowd and moshed among the rest of the moshers on the floor, still singing and not missing a word. Some other songs they played this night were 'Shitty Future', 'Six Days A Week', 'Heart Attack American', 'White Tar', 'False Alarm' as well as at least two new songs from their upcoming new release The Bronx IV. An amazing hour of some hardcore punk rock music.

The Bronx Live.





Next up were headliners Refused from Sweden. I don't know their music as well as everyone in the crowd. The crowd was definitely worked up for the reunited band. I have listened to and do own there classic album "The Shape Of Punk To Come" but that is the only album I own of theirs. The band sounded good, but they almost sounded melodic compared to The Bronx. Refused are well known for being a political and anti-establishment band, and the irony of them playing at a shopping mall wasn't lost on lead singer Dennis Lyxzen, as he went on a bit about it. This was my second time seeing lead singer Dennis perform, as I had seen him years ago fronting his other band The (International) Noise Conspiracy. I would have to say I enjoyed this show way more. Dennis Lyxzen swings and tosses his microphone around comparative to Roger Daltrey of The Who. Refused played about an hour and a half of full throttle punk. A great night of punk rock, old and new bands.Good times!!!

Setlist for Refused in Edmonton.

1.Worms of the Senses / Faculties of the Skull
2.The Refused Party Program
3.Liberation Frequency
4.Rather Be Dead
5.Coup d'état
6.Summerholidays vs. Punkroutine
7.The Deadly Rhythm
8.Hook, Line and Sinker
9.Refused Are Fucking Dead
10.Life Support Addiction
11.The Shape of Punk to Come

Encore:
12.New Noise
13.Tannhäuser / Derivè

Refused Live.




After the show I had some frustration and some good laughs. Like I had said earlier, one of the reasons I hate the venue EEC is because it is so far away from home. So after the show, I find a phone and order a cab, only to wait a half hour and still not even see a cab. So I said fuck this, I still had time to catch a bus for the long hour ride back to the southside. After another 20 minute wait for the bus, it finally shows, and by then there are about 10 other people that had been to the show also waiting for the bus. This made for an interesting bus ride home, as everyone had a good buzz on, and about 6-8 of them all boarded the bus with king size beers in their hands. The bus driver didn't say shit, they just walked on without even trying to hide them. The guy that sat next to me was kind enough to share his beer with me, which was really nice, cause dry mouth was getting the best of me and it was going to be a long ride home. These guys not only shared their beer, but made the ride home quite entertaining as they had most of us in stitches. Not so sure the people at the front of the us took too kind to the drunk punks in the back of the bus, but oh well. Thanks to whoever you guys were for the beer. Good times!!!!

T-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment