Saturday, December 8, 2012

Autographed Memorabilia

Thought I would show off a few autographed items I have purchased over the past few months. All three titles are albums I bought through pre-orders on the bands website. Unfortunately, I am not all that impressed with any of them.


The first one is Ryan Bingham's latest album called "Tomorrowland" that was released in September. The album is alright, but not near as good as his previous release "Junky Star" that came out in 2010. Ryan released "Tomorrowland" on his own record label Axster Bingham Records which is available through Ryan Bingham's website.

Here are a few tracks from the album "Tomorrowland". The first track in which I included the video is called "Guess Who's Knocking" I find the song to be pretty cheesy, sounds like something Kid Rock would do. The next song which is audio only is more like what I would expect from Ryan Bingham, this tune is called "The Road I'm On", now that's more like it.



The Road I'm On.




The second album is by Jeff Keith who is the lead singer in the rock band Tesla, a band that had some success in the late 80's and early 90's. I have always been a big fan of the band Tesla, so when I saw that Jeff was going to do a country album I was very intrigued to have a listen. Tesla were one of the first rock bands to do the unpugged thing, even before the unplugged sessions of the MTV era. Tesla released their live unplugged album called "The Five Man Acoustical Jam" in 1990 which was incredible, something I still listen to once in a while to this day.

The EP Jeff Keith just released is called "Jeff Keith and Country Music Friends" and was released on his own as well. The EP consists of six songs and some interviews at the end of the album. This is a straight up country album, not what I was expecting to be honest. This is no alt-country thing at all, this is old school country. What I did find interesting is the interviews at the end of the EP. Sounds like this whole project got started here in Edmonton,Alberta at West Edmonton Mall when Tesla played here back in 2005. Checkout the interview to understand what I am talking about.

I have included my favorite track "Life On The Road" from the EP and the interview.

Life On The Road.



The interview.





The last autographed album I am writing about today is the live album from Canadian reggae rockers Big Sugar. This is the first full length live album and DVD that Big Sugar has released. The album is called "Eliminate Ya Live" and just came out in the last month. It was recorded in Winnipeg, Manitoba at the Burton Cummings Theatre in November of 2011.

I am a huge fan of Gordie Johnson lead singer and guitar player of Big Sugar and his other band Grady. I have been following his music projects since the early 90's and have seen him many a times. And have got his autograph previously in person a few times. This album comes with both a CD and DVD, the DVD includes seven bonus tracks that are not on the CD. While I still enjoy Big Sugar, I do miss the bite and rocking blues that Big Sugar played in their earlier years. The DVD is just over a couple of hours long and is pretty damn good. I didn't much care for it the first time I watched it, but after seeing it a second time I appreciated it that much more. Highlights for me was the song "All Hell For A Basement", how could I not, it is after all about Alberta, also some of the old shit still rocks, songs like "Wild Ox Moan" and "Ride Like Hell". I just wish Big Sugar would play "I'm A Ram" live a little more often,I have always loved that song, and to me is what Big Sugar was about back in the day. I have included a track from the CD, the song "If Santa Don't Bring You No Funk" to get into the festive spirit.

If Santa Don't Bring You No Funk.



Now I plead with you Gordie Johnson for some new Grady music,PLEASE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment