Saturday, July 23, 2016

Interstellar Rodeo: Day One July 22nd 2016


It's that time of year again which means it is time to checkout this years Interstellar Rodeo Festival held at Hawrelak's Heritage Amphitheatre in Edmonton. This is the fifth year of this festival that is put on by Six Shooter Records. When I saw this years line up I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. But every year there is a band that I don't know that really impresses me, so we will see which band that is this time around.

Janis and I made our way to the festival but got there a little late only catching the tail end of opener Copperhead from Calgary. What I did hear it didn't sound like we missed much.

FRIDAY, JULY 22

4:30 pm Gates open
5:00 pm Copperhead
6:00 pm Marty Stuart
7:25 pm Andra Day
8:50 pm The Strumbellas

Next up was Marty Stuart and his band The Fabulous Superlatives. Marty is one of the bigger name acts on this years bill. I had never seen Marty in concert before and really never had the desire to see him as I have never been a big country music fan. But Marty Stuart is more then just a country act mixing up his set with some surf music, rock, gospel, rockabilly and of course some country. The venue filled up quickly when he hit the stage with the dance floor filled and the audience dancing away and singing along. I don't know his music all that well but there were a few songs I did recognize. I did enjoy the Merle Haggard song "Mama Tried" that they did. Marty sounded good as did "Cousin" Kenny Vaughan on guitar and vocals, drummer Harry Stinson held his own and bass player Chris Scruggs was quite good as well. Over all a good set by Marty Stuart and Band.

Marty Stuart and The Fabulous Superlatives.

The next act up was Andra Day a soul/R&B singer hailing from San Diego, California. I had heard good things about her and heard a few of her songs on CKUA, so I was looking forward to seeing her. I'm not the biggest fan of soul music, I don't hate it, but it has to be really good in order for me to like it. Well, Andra Day certainly has a great voice and I liked her version of Bob Marley's "Could You Be Loved", but overall I got bored quickly with her. Interstellar really like there soul music as every year it seems they book lots of soul acts, one a day would be enough for me but it looks like this year there is more then enough soul acts. More rock n' roll roots music is what I want.

Andra Day.

The last act of day one was Ontario band The Strumbellas who are also on the Six Shooter Records label, who are out touring in support of their latest release "Hope". This was my second time seeing The Strumbellas in concert, the first time being at 2014's Interstellar festival. I really enjoyed them that year but this year I really didn't care for them. There new stuff especially the single "Spirits" sounds way more poppy then there last release which was very rootsy. And that song "Spirits", man I can't stand that song. Lead singer Simon Ward sure has cleaned himself up from the last time I saw them, short hair now, trimmed up beard and not near as energetic as last time either. Though keyboard player David Ritter is worth the price of admission himself, he is very entertaining jumping around like a mad man, singing and dancing and carrying on. He looks like he would be a fun guy to hang out with. All and all not all that impressed with their set though.

So best act of Day One goes to Marty Stuart. Good times!!!

The Strumbellas.

Beer koozie I bought at the festival.



No comments:

Post a Comment