Monday, August 1, 2016

Interstellar Rodeo: Day Three July 24th 2016


Day three of Interstellar saw Janis and I get a little later start as I was still recovering from the previous night. So we missed the first band of the day Adia Victoria, I heard she put on a great show.

Noon Gates open
1:00 pm Adia Victoria
2:15 pm Reuben and the Dark
3:30 pm Kathleen Edwards
4:35 pm Donovan Woods
5:15 pm Jose Gonzalez
6:20 pm Henry Wagons
7:00 pm Margo Price
8:05 pm Joe Nolan
8:45 pm Sam Roberts Band

We got there about half way through Calgary band Reuben and the Dark's set. The band is led by singer songwriter Reuben Bullock, they play an indie style of folk music. I had never seen them before but was surprised by their set, they were quite good. Lead singer Reuben seemed like an intense guy. Overall a good set.

Reuben and the Dark.

Next up was Kathleen Edwards a singer-songwriter out of Ottawa, a lady that doesn't do a whole lot of live shows these days, so this was going to be a treat. This was my third time seeing her play live so I had a pretty good idea what I was in for, and as per usual she put on a great show. She had Luke Doucet from Whitehorse join her for a few songs, you could tell from the banter between them that they are close friends and enjoyed performing together. A great set.

Kathleen Edwards.

Missed Donovan Woods set as out having a bite to eat but made it back to the stage for José González a folk classical guitar player from Sweden which really surprise me with a name like González, anyways his set was alright. The man can play a wicked guitar all finger picking style, but after about a half hour I started to get bored, very flamenco kind of playing. People were digging it, but me after a bit not so much.

José González.

After José and before Margo was a short set by Henry Wagons. Henry Wagons is a singer/songwriter from Australia who has played the Interstellar fest three times now. The two previous times were with his band the Wagons, so this show was with his solo band. I only saw a little bit of his set as I wanted to have a smoke and get a few beers before the next act. Henry always seems to go over very well at this festival hence him playing it as many times as he has. His music is outlaw country stuff with a mix of humour.

Henry Wagons.

Next up was Nashville based singer-songwriter Margo Price who released her debut album "Midwest Farmer's Daughter" in March on Jack White's label Third Man Records. When the line up for this years festival was released Margo Price was one of the highlights for me. I had read about her and then saw her perform on Saturday Night Live and really liked what I heard. I bought her album when it came out and think it is a great old school sounding country music along the lines of Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Emmylou Harris.

I made sure to up front for Margo's set as did many others she had the front of the stage packed. Margo's hour long performance was awesome playing pretty much all the songs from her debut album. She sounded and looked good, her back up band was damn good too. If you like old school honky-tonk outlaw country you will love Margo, her songs are very personal, songs such as "Hands Of Time" which is a song about her life thus far, "Since You Put Me Down" a drinking song "How The Mighty Have Fallen" about an ex-lover, the kind of songs you would expect from a country artist but they are done so well. I just love her voice and attitude. A great show by Margo Price and I see big things coming for her in the future in the music business. This show was her very first Canadian date she had done.

Margo Price.

After her set she also signed some autographs at the merchandise tent, so I got the chance to meet her, which meant I had to buy another copy of her album so that I could get it signed. She took the time to talk to all those in line and take pictures. She is a very cool down to earth lady. I was already a fan of her, even more so now.

Me and Margo.

Next up was another Six Shooter Records artist local musician Joe Nolan. Joe's set was a short set before the headliner of the night. This was my second time seeing him in concert. His raw roots sounds and his song writing is exciting, he sings with passion and has an edge to him. An artist that should make a break through in the near future.

Joe Nolan.

The last act of the weekend were Montreal rockers the Sam Roberts Band. This was my third time seeing them live, the last time being nine years ago. I forgot how damn good this band is live. They sounded great and played a lot of material from their 2003 albums "We Were Born In A Flame" my favorite of there's. Songs such as "Where Have All The Good People Gone?", "Brother Down", "Don't Walk Away Eileen" and "Hard Road". A great way to close out this years edition of Interstellar Rodeo. Good times!!!

Sam Roberts Band.

A big shout out goes to Shauna de Cartier the founder behind record label Six Shooter Records and Interstellar Rodeo. I bought tickets to this years festival before I knew a single artist that was going to be on the bill. When the line-up was finally announced I was a bit disappointed at first thinking it was a weak line-up. Well, I was totally wrong, sure there were bands I had never heard before but that is what makes this festival fun is being introduced to new bands, and this year was no different. I walked away from this years festival a fan of a few new and old artists. Now that I have been to this five years in a row, I'm not going to question the line-up again. I still think 2014 was the best line-up. This years festival definitely had a more country tinge to it, but I still had a great time. This festival is so laid back with a great relaxed vibe, it's relaxed, not over crowded, great music, great venue and awesome volunteers and staff. Keep up the great work everyone, can't wait for next years edition of Interstellar Rodeo, I'll be there.

Favorite performances of this years Interstellar would be Fantastic Negrito my favorite overall, also enjoyed Margo Price very much, Marty Stuart was a pleasant surprise, as was Lord Huron, Kathleen Edwards was great, Sam Outlaw was another surprise and Sam Roberts Band was also really good. Another fun three days of music.

T-shirt front.

T-shirt back.

No comments:

Post a Comment