Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Sturgill Simpson Live in Edmonton Aug.14th 2016


Ok I started writing this a while ago but never finished before I left for an adventure of a lifetime. So this review is a little old and probably a bit rambling as i just wanted to finish it so that I can start my write up on this past weekend. So here is a bit about the Sturgill Simpson show almost two weeks ago.

On Sunday night my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Sturgill Simpson concert at Union Hall here in Edmonton. I was looking forward to this show as I have been a fan of Sturgill for the past two years. While I am not a fan of the venue the show was at, sometimes you just gotta suck it up and go when an artists is playing a place you don't like. So that's exactly what I did. And a Sunday show, that is always tough too, unless of course you book the Monday off in which is what I did. The show was sold out, so a crowd of about a 1000 I believe. Seemed like it was a rowdy crowd, as were waiting outside in the line-up to get in, you could see lots of empty beer cans and a few mickey's too. This wasn't going to be your regular Sunday crowd. And as much as Sturgill Simpson is regarded a country artists, there wasn't a single cowboy hat to be seen. Nice!!!


Sturgill Simpson is an Americana/Country artists from Jackson, Kentucky who is on tour promoting his latest release "A Sailor's Guide To Earth" that came out in April. Sturgill is an artist that you won't hear on country music stations only because they don't have the balls to play real country music. His voice reminds me of Waylon Jennings big time, another outlaw country musician. Once we got in to the venue Buzzard and I made our way to the front of the stage. By the time Sturgill came on the bar was packed and like I said earlier, the place had a good vibe with a whole lot of drinking going on. So much so that a couple of the bars in the venue actually ran out of beer at one point. Sturgill and his seven piece band opened with two songs "Sitting Here Without You" and "Water In A Well" from his first album High Top Mountain. After that it was the song "Long White Line" a big song from his second album Metamodern Sounds In Country Music. These songs sounded a little different from their originals as Sturgill now has a three piece horn section that plays with him. I thought they still sounded good with the horns though a touch loud. We ended up getting out from the front of the stage as it was a touch loud. I think part of that reason is the venue he was playing. It has been a while since Sturgill had played a bar, seeing as his tour across Canada were mostly played in theatres. He even mentioned at one point in the show that it was nice to play in a place where he where he could smell the audience, with everyone being so close. Once we got away from the front the sound seemed to be a little more clear, but part of that I am sure too is that the sound guy had figured out the room as well.

Stugill's two hour consisted of him playing all old material for the first two thirds of the show and then the last third of the show was him performing his new album A Sailor's Guide To Earth from start to finish. I didn't expect that at all, but after the first hour or so and not hearing a new song you could kind of figure it out that he was probably going to do all his new stuff at the end. I thought Sturgill Simpson sounded great as did his band. All and all this was an awesome show. Good times!!!

Setlist.

Sturgill Simpson at Union Hall in Edmonton.

T-shirt front.

Back.


No comments:

Post a Comment