Monday, March 6, 2017

Lyle Lovett & John Hiatt Live in Edmonton March 3rd 2017


On Friday night my buddy Buzzard, Char and I went to the Evening with Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt Acoustic concert at the Jubilee Auditorium here in Edmonton. This was my first time seeing both Lyle and John. What really made me want to see this show was John Hiatt, being a big fan of his song writing and playing.

The show was two and half hours long with no intermission, with no big production just the two of them sitting on chairs with a table between them and taking turns playing songs on acoustics. It was two buddies hanging out telling stories and playing songs, my complaint is that there was too much talking between songs with the stories not really being relevant to the songs. At times I just wanted to yell "shut up and play a song". There was one story I liked, it was one that John Hiatt told about hanging backstage at a Bonnie Raitt show with Ramblin' Jack Elliot. John of course being at the show to duet with Bonnie on the song "Thing Called Love", that John wrote. It was a great story and actually built up to the song.

I did recognize a few of Lyle Lovett's songs, more then I was expecting. But it was Hiatt's songs that kept me somewhat enthused. He is a very respected song writer, with many an artist covering his songs. Some of the songs have a bluesy feel and some humour in a few of them and of course a country feel to many of them. All and all I found the show to be a bit on the boring side. Glad I got to see John but think I would enjoy him more with a full band backing him up. Good times!!!


John Hiatt.

Lyle Lovett.

Setlist for Edmonton show.

No comments:

Post a Comment