Tuesday, October 3, 2017

R.I.P. Tom Petty


So yesterday around lunch time I got a text from a buddy asking me if I had heard about Tom Petty, whether what he was reading was true or not. Instantly my mind went to worse case scenario and started looking into it myself, well the rumours were flying that Tom Petty had passed. Instant sadness hit me. Then a few hours later word came out that Tom Petty was still clinging to life after a hear attack and going into a cardiac arrest. So there was still hope, please pull through Mr. Petty. By the time I went to bed I still had not heard anything more.

Well this morning I woke up to the shitty news and confirmation of the passing of Tom Petty at the age of 66. This death hits me hard, it came out of nowhere. I had just seen Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers play Vancouver in August on their 40th Anniversary Tour. Everything seemed so good six weeks ago, a great show, Petty looked to be healthy and in good spirits. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers put on an incredible show. So good!

I count myself very fortunate to have seen Tom Petty in concert four times, and everyone of them shows were awesome. The first time I saw Tom Petty was when a buddy and I made the trip to Pemberton, British Columbia for the inaugural Pemberton Music Festival July 2008 in which Tom was headlining the Saturday night.

The second time I saw Tom Petty play was weeks later on August 12th playing in Edmonton at Rexall Place with Steve Winwood opening. Again, a great show.

The third time seeing Petty play was in Edmonton again at Rexall Place on June 16th 2010 with Joe Cocker opening the show. And now neither one of these artists are with us anymore.

And sadly the last time I got to see Tom Petty play was just this summer and mere six weeks ago or so in Vancouver at Rogers Arena August 17th 2017. This time with The Lumineers opening. I knew Petty wouldn't be doing full on tours anymore after this 40th Anniversary Tour hence why I made the trip to see him again. But I surely didn't think this would be the last time ever. A very sad day this is and has hit me like a tonne of bricks. Very thankful I got to see him perform as many times as I did. Also very thankful for all the great music he has put out over the years with The Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch, Traveling Wilburys and his solo albums. Thank you Tom Petty for the great music and live performances. Your music will live on for many years to come.

Rest In Peace Tom Petty




No comments:

Post a Comment