Thursday, July 26, 2018

Sloan Live in Edmonton July 19th 2018


Last Thursday my Cuz and I made our way down town to the Legislature Grounds Capital Plaza where they are holding the Taste Of Edmonton food festival which runs for 10 days where there is all kinds of food to sample from restaurants and food trucks, they also always have music guests every night. We were there for the music and beers not food. And on this night it was Canadian rockers Sloan playing. This would be my fifth time seeing Sloan in concert, but it had been quite sometime since I last saw them, so I was looking forward to this show, and it was free, so that's always a bonus too.

We got there in time to catch a few songs by the opening band Whale and the Wolf. What I saw of them I thought they were alright, maybe should have checked out more of them, oh well!

Whale and the Wolf at Taste Of Edmonton.

So before Sloan came on we got ourselves a few beers and got up close to the stage. Hard to believe that Sloan has been around for 26 years and are currently on the road promoting their latest release titled 12, which is an album I really like.

Of course just as the band hit the stage the rain starts falling and never let up through out the whole hour plus show. And it rained hard, soaked right through by the time the show ended, but all that were there, and there was a decent crowd considering how hard it was raining, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Sloan is made up of Chris Murphy, Andrew Scott, Jay Ferguson and Patrick Pentland. What is really cool about this band is how they all trade off on instruments and singing through the whole show. There music or at least a lot of it reminds me a bit of The Beatles and just great pop music with the right touch of rock n' roll. And with twelve albums out there is a lot of music to pick from. I've never been real good with the titles of their songs, but some of the one's I did know were, a couple of new ones "Spin Our Wheels", "44 Teenagers" and "Gone For Good" which got great responses from the crowd. Of course the old ones always get an even better response like "Money City Maniacs", "The Good In Everyone" and "Who Taught You To Live Like That". I thought the whole show was kick ass. Maybe it was just me, but they almost sounded sloppy but in a good way, just a good rock n' roll show, maybe it was just the sloppiness of the rain, but it just seemed like the guys were having fun and not uptight or anything. I loved it, I thought it was a very fun show and has renewed my interest in the band again. Good times!!!

Sloan at the Taste of Edmonton.

No comments:

Post a Comment