Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Cult Live in Edmonton July 13th 2018


Last Friday my buddy RCD and I went to the The Cult show here at Union Hall, a rare club show for a band like The Cult. This was a free show if you were lucky enough to get in on the tickets, in which I was. The show was put on by Aurora which is a medical marijuana producer and distributor, soon be a legal product for recreational use here in Canada come October 17th. Aurora has been doing a concert series called the Aurora Illumination Series where bands play club shows which are free for the fans all across the country. The show here in Edmonton, which is the second show that Aurora has put on here was The Cult. I honestly didn't even realize this British rock band was even still together never mind touring. While I have never really been a fan of this band, this would be my fifth time seeing them in concert. Having seen them with GnR, opening for the likes of Metallica twice, Lenny Kravitz, yet never really cared for them. Oh ya, also saw lead singer Ian Astbury front The Doors 20th Century thing they did. I do have more respect for them now then I did back in the day, and thought seeing them play a club show would be pretty damn cool.

A day after I scored the tickets much to my surprise they announced Mike McDonald as the opener. Mike is a local musician who also fronts the band Jr. Gone Wild, but this would be a solo show. Seemed like a really weird gig for Mike. I wasn't so sure how he would go over with a Cult crowd, I was actually quite nervous for him. But he did awesome, the crowd were into him, and there seemed to be quite a few people in the crowd that knew his music, after all he has been playing since the 80's so it's not like he is unknown. I myself am a huge fan of both his solo and JGW music. This would be my fifth time seeing Mike McDonald play a solo show.

Mike's 45 minute set was excellent with great song choices for this kind of crowd, mixing in solo and JGW tunes. The venue was quite full for him too, which makes sense as those that had free tickets had to be there by 8:30. I think Mike was even surprised by the great response he got from the crowd.

Some of the songs Mike did were, "The Longest Song In The Universe" from his first solo album Is This Thing On?, as well as a couple from his Live At The Blue Chair Café album. Which included "Fifty Dollar Whore" and "Slept All Afternoon". Mike also played a few new Jr. Gone Wild tunes that have yet to be released, "Five Million Songs In One", "Barricades (The Hockey Riot Song)" which is song actually written by Steve Loree the other guitar player in JGW, "Fools Errand" also was played. Just so many great songs. It was awesome to see Mike play to a near full venue and pull it off. Great job Mike.

Mike McDonald at Union Hall.

Next up was the main act that everyone was waiting for The Cult. The Cult have gone through many a member in the band, this version of the band included as always Ian Astbury on vocals and Billy Duffy on lead guitar, rounding out the band was Damon Fox on keyboards, Grant Fitzpatrick on bass and drummer John Tempesta who has also played in Testament and Rob Zombie's band.

By the time The Cult came on the place was super packed. The band opened with "Wild Flower" which sounded incredible, a great opening song, then into "Rain". Then there were a few songs that I'm not all that familiar with, like I say have never really followed the band that close despite seeing them quite a few times. I still don't think Ian has the strongest voice but hey that's just my opinion. I did think that they closed the show out great playing "Sweet Soul Sister", "Fire Woman", "Love Removal Machine" and for the encore "She Sells Sanctuary". I had to laugh as Ian still loves to bang around the tambourine a lot, I remember that from all the other times I have seen him. At least this time he seemed sober and didn't have the attitude that I have seen him have before. Like the time I saw him get booed off the stage after four songs when they opened for Metallica back in 1993. All and all this was a fun show to be at. Good times!!!

The Cult at Union Hall.

Free t-shirt I got for signing up for the Aurora newsletter. Just wish the t-shirt mentioned The Cult on it.

Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment