Thursday, October 4, 2018

Sore Points, Real Sickies and Languid @ Bohemia Sept.21st 2018


Because the Swingin' Utters show was moved to Thursday, my Brother (Citrus), Sherry and I were able to make it out to this triple bill of punk bands at the Bohemia, a venue in downtown Edmonton that I had never been to before.

Two of the three bands playing on this night I had never heard of before, and the one band I had heard of, I had yet to see live, so this was going to be an interesting evening.

The first band of the night was Languid. Wasn't sure what to expect from these guys, but holy shit were they fun. There music I would describe as mix of thrash metal and crusty punk. The guys in the band look like something out of the movie Fubar, especially the lead singer. The lead singer had so much energy, singing in to the mic like Lemmy of Motorhead, and punching the air like a mad man. I was really impressed with their set, way better then what I was expecting.

Languid at the Bohemia.

Next up was the Real Sickies another Edmonton punk band. And again, I was really impressed with these guys too. There music reminded me of old school punk like the Ramones. I had heard of the band before but had never got out to see them perform live before. I most certainly will be out to see them again. Lead singer Ben Disaster has an amazing stage presence and with him having his head full of baby powder, so when he got rocking and shaking his head, the powder coming off his head made for a pretty cool effect with the lights. Although about three songs into their set the smell of baby powder was a little overwhelming, but hey, it looked cool. The Real Sickies made me think of what it must have been like to see the Ramones back in the CBGB days. Kick ass band with Ben , short intense songs. Very very good!

The Real Sickies at the Bohemia.

Last band of the night was Vancouver band Sore Points. I thought they were a pretty good band, but after seeing Real Sickies it was going to be hard to top them, but nonetheless they put on a good show, short set which was perfect for the 70's era punk rock they played. This was a fun night out with my brother and his girlfriend Sherry, swilling beers and seeing three bands I had never seen before. Loved the venue as well, a cool place to see a show. Good times!!!

Sore Points at the Bohemia.

Real Sickies vinyl I picked up at the show.

T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment