Saturday, November 10, 2018

Jack White Live in Edmonton Nov.2nd 2018


Last Friday my buddy Buzzard and I went to the Jack White concert at Rogers Place. This would be my first time seeing Jack White play a solo show. I was supposed to see him a few years ago solo at the Sonic Boom Festival here but got kicked out before he came on, long story, so I was looking forward to this one. I did see White Stripes here in 2007.

We missed the opening band Crown Lands, as we were having some drinks before the show.

For this show we were on the floor which was general admission. For this show and all Jack White concerts you are not allowed to use your cellphone, so as you walk into the venue the staff make you put your phone in a pouch which is then locked and only able to access your phone in certain spots of the coliseum.

We grabbed ourselves a couple of way too expensive beers and headed into the middle of the floor. I wanted to be fairly close to the stage for this show as I feel you can feed off the energy of the performance the closer you are. I was surprised that even Buzzard followed me in to the fray.

The stage had a screen behind it that had a countdown clock for the start of the show, and we got there at the four minute mark so it wasn't going to be long before the show started.

It was cool to be at a show where it felt very old school with no distractions of people taking selfies and pictures of the band and texting and updating Facebook and such. Hell people were even actually using lighters holding them up during a few songs. What I did notice was that when people don't have their phones there was a whole lot of pot being smoked, at least where we were anyways. Once one person lit up it was non-stop the rest of the show, which was cool by me. Made for a lot of grooving to the tunes and dancing and singing.

Jack opened the show with the song "Over and Over and Over" from his latest album Boarding House Reach and right after that it was a White Stripes song "Dead Leaves and Dirty Ground", the first of at least 8 from his former band. Jack mixed up the set pretty good playing a song from his other bands The Dead Weather "I Cut Like A Buffalo" and even a Raconteurs song "Steady, As She Goes" which was the first song of the encore.

Jack White and his band were amazing, especially Jack's guitar playing, he blows my mind, but I did find that the keyboards, in which there were two guys playing them was a bit overwhelming at times, it took away from jack's playing sometimes. the biggest sing-along's of the night were both White Stripe songs first was "We're Going To Be Friends" and the show closer "Seven Nation Army". This was a great show and really loved the no distractions through out the show, and the smell of weed was a nice touch too. Old school concert feel, loved it. Good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment