Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Matt Mays Live in Edmonton Feb.21st 2019


Last Thursday night I went to the Matt Mays show at Have Mercy here in Edmonton. I bought a ticket to this show on a whim, thinking I haven't seen Matt Mays in concert since the time I saw him open for the Black Crowes back in 2008. And at that show Matt Mays blew the Crowes away. I haven't heard much about Matt Mays in years, so for him to be playing an acoustic show at cool intimate venue like Have Mercy really intrigued me. After buying my ticket I looked into what he had done recently only to discover that he had put out an album in 2017 called Once Upon A Hell Of A Time a great straight up rock n' roll album, and his first in 5 years. And then just late last year he put out an album called Twice Upon A Hell Of A Time, which is the same album but done acoustically. I picked up the latter album and really enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to seeing this show. And with only 120 tickets available, which sold out in no time, this was gonna be cool.

Opening the show was Adam Baldwin whom also is from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia just like Matt Mays. Adam also plays in Matt Mays band playing guitar and keyboards. Adam has an EP coming out at the end of March called No Rest For The Wicked. From his short 20-25 minute set he played, I'm thinking this will probably be a pretty good album. It is available for pre-order by clicking here.

Adam Baldwin.

After a short break, enough time to have a smoke, a piss and grab a beer Matt Mays and his band hit the small stage for their performance. While talking to people at the show I didn't realize the following Matt Mays has, everyone I talked to had seen Matt multiple times, and not just once or twice like myself, but 5, 8 and 10 times. So there were some real die hard fans at this show. And you could tell as he got a great round of applause when he started playing with most of the crowd singing along to all the tunes. I myself only have one of his albums that being his 2008 one Terminal Romance, which to me is a killer album. Actually I picked up his latest album Twice Upon A Hell Of A Time after I bought the ticket for this show. So I didn't know the songs like the rest of the audience, but what I didn't know I enjoyed, and the ones I did know like "Terminal Romance", "Cocaine Cowgirl", "Spoonful Of Sugar", "Queen Of Portland Street", "Tall Trees" and "City Of Lakes" sounded really good. I wasn't sure what to expect from this show but I was highly impressed. Matt comes across as a down to earth guy too, great back up band, good crowd, good beers and great venue and with Conway Twitty watching over your shoulder. All made for a fun night out. Good times!!!

Matt Mays.

No comments:

Post a Comment