Saturday, February 16, 2019

Mean Jeans Live in Edmonton Feb.7th 2019


Two Thursday's I went to the Mean Jeans, Mandates, Real Sickies triple bill at The Buckingham. Fuck I am getting terrible at writing reviews in a timely fashion. Oh well, here is a quick synopsis of the show.

The main attraction to me for this show were the two opening bands that both are Alberta bands. The first band of the night were Edmonton punkers Real Sickies.

This would be my third time seeing the Real Sickies in concert. This band is full on give'r punk led by Ben Disaster on vocals. The energy and enthusiasm Ben performs with is addictive. What I noticed right away this time around was that there was only one guitarist with them, and, it was someone different from the last time I saw them which was just in December. Looks like both guitar players have left the band, for reasons unknown to me. But the new guy, and I believe his name was Alex, but I could be wrong, did an incredible job. Especially considering they only had two rehearsals together before this show. There 30 minute set was all older stuff this time around, and they kicked ass. As I say, Ben was full on, just love the energy he plays with. Another great show by the Real Sickies.

The Real Sickies.

Next up was Calgary band The Mandates. This would be my second time seeing them live. This is another band I just recently got in to thanks to my Brother. The Mandates have a cool 70's punk rock groove sound to them. There latest album Dead In The Face is fucking awesome, as is their live performance. I really like how the two guitarists Brady Kirchner and Matt Wickens share in vocal duties, and drummer Warren Moon is great and the bass player Jimmy James, well he's just got that cool look about him and lays down some cool bass to keep it all together. A very impressive set by the Mandates.

Mandates.

The headliner of the night was Mean Jeans out of Portland, Oregon. This show was a fly in with the band doing three dates in Alberta, Edmonton, Calgary and Medicine Hat. To be totally honest I knew very little about this three piece band which is made up of Billy Jeans on guitar, Jeans Wilder on drums and bass player Junior Jeans. The band play short punk rock songs in the vein of the Ramones. They opened their set with a song that I actually knew called "Croozin". They are a fun band that reminded me a bit of a lesser NOFX. Another song they did was "Steve Don't Party No More". They were entertaining but the show seemed to lose flow as the band were having amp problems with both the bass and guitar, so that took away from it. All and all I thought they were alright but nothing special. Still a very fun night which made for a long day of work on Friday. Good times!!!

Mean Jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment