Saturday, September 30, 2023

Altameda Live in Edmonton March 10th 2023

This show that Cuz, Buzzard and I went to at 9910 was part of JUNO Fest. With the JUNO Awards being held in Edmonton there were a lot of shows happening all week. I only got out to one of the shows, and for me this was my choice. Being a big fan of Altameda and having not seen Shaela Miller before, this was going to be a good one.
Opening the nights events was Shaela Miller a country singer hailing from Lethbridge, Alberta. This was my first time seeing her in concert and I have to say I was very impressed. Her 40 minute set went by so quick with her playing songs mostly from her 2021 album Big Hair Small City. A great set and I look forward to seeing her perform again. Shaela Miller.
Next up was an Ontario band I had never heard of before called OMBIIGIZI (pronounced om-BEE-ga-ZAY), meaning this is noisy. And yes they were noisy! I quite enjoed there set as well. This was taken from Wikipedia...OMBIIGIZI is a Canadian musical project, consisting of Adam Sturgeon of Status/Non-Status and Daniel Monkman of Zoon. Their debut album Sewn Back Together was released in 2022, and was longlisted for the 2022 Polaris Music Prize. OMBIIGIZI.
Next was Altameda a band formed in Edmonton but now based in Toronto. This would be my 14th time seeing the band in concert. As you can guess,, yes I am a big fan of the band. Altameda were nominated for a JUNO Award in the Adult Alternative Album Of The Year Category (what the hell does that even mean?). for their 2022 album Born Losers, which is fucking awesome by the way! Sadly they didn't win, but they were up again some stiff competition with the likes of Dan Managan, The Sadies and others. The Sadies ended up winning, which was well deserved. As usual Altameda put on a great show. They are a must see band live. Altameda.
What really surprised me was that Altameda didn't headline this show. Last band of the evening was Bullhorn Singers featuring Reuben Bullock of Reuben And The Dark. I payed very little attention to their set as Buzzard and I were hanging with Troy, Erik and the rest of of Altameda guys having beers and catching up, which was a lot of fun. Good times!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment