Saturday, October 7, 2023

Ryan Adams Live in Edmonton March 24th 2023

Another show that I almost didn't go to because of ticket prices, a hundred bucks to see Ryan Adams, a bit pricey I thought. But getting the chance to see Ryan Adams play a solo acoustic show at a church isn't something you get to see very often. This would be my third time seeing Ryan in concert. So I sucked it up and bought myself a ticket. Glad I did too, because this was a good show. The show was held at McDougall United Church a cool intimate show with great acoustics, even if you could here sirens through the walls of the place off and on during the show. Ryan played a three hour show with no intermission. A thirty plus song setlist with a big smattering of cover songs. He opened the show with the song "Oh My Sweet Carolina" from is debut album Heartbreaker. I believe he played another two or three songs from that album as well. Ryan covered a good portion of his albums but also did a lot of cover songs during this show which he had been doing through out this whole solo tour. I had been watching his setlists prior to this show and he was doing some interesting covers. he must have done at least eight cover songs during his three hour set, which I thought was kind of weird considering how many albums and songs he has out. At least three Neil Young songs, a Dylan song "If You See Her, Say Hello", a Springsteen song "Nebraska", an album that Ryan had recently released redoing the whole Nebraska album. He alos did a Stones song "Sympathy For The Devil". What really caught me by surprise was when he did the Slayer song "South Of Heaven". It took me a bit to realize it was that song. I heard the words and got thinking, no fucking way, is this really a Slayer song done acoustic and in a church to boot. Yup, sure was! Another cool cover was the Pixies song "Monkey Gone To Heaven". I didn't take many pictures at this show as during the first couple of songs a professional photographer at the back of the room was taking pictures when Ryan spotted him taking pictures and stopped mid song and berated the photographer for taking pictures. The guy had the credentials to be allowed to take the pictures, but Ryan asked him to stop and delete all the pictures he had taken. That was enough for me to not take too many pictures. Ryan wasn't very kind about how he handled the situation either. All and all this was a good show, was disappointed that I couoldn't have a beer at the show as there was no alcohol service at the show. Having known this before hand, I hid some beers outside the venue and stepped out a few times to down a quick beer. Good times!!! Ryan Adams.
T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment