Saturday, December 9, 2023

Rod Stewart & Cheap Trick Live in Edmonton August 15th 2023

 


This Rod Stewart and Cheap Trick show at Rogers Place finally happened after being postponed a few times because of the pandemic. I was surprised that after a few years it was still the double bill it was. I was really looking forward to seeing Cheap Trick in concert again and of course Rod Stewart. I went to this show with Buzzard, Cuz and Janis.



This would be my second time seeing Cheap Trick in concert, the last time being in 1994. Best to catch these acts while you still can, because they sure the hell aren't getting any younger. Cheap Trick still has three of the original members in the band. Robin Zander on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, Tom Petersson on bass and Rick Nielsen on lead guitar. The band was rounded out with Daxx Nielsen on drums (son of Rick Nielsen) and on guitar Robin Taylor Zander Jr. (son of Robin Zander). The original members are all in their 70's now.

There was a good majority of the crowd seated and ready to see Cheap Trick perform. I think half the audience was there as much for Cheap Trick as Rod. Cheap Trick's forty-five minute set went over pretty damn good. Though I thought they sounded kind of rough for the first half of the show. The band opened the show with two songs from their 1977 album In Color, opening with "Hello There" followed by "Big Eyes". The last half of their set was excellent with them playing their big hits like "The Flame", "I Want You To Want Me', "Dream Police", "Surrender" and closing the show with "Goodnight". A fun set and very happy I got to see the band again.

Cheap Trick.












Headlining the evening was 78 year old  Rod Stewart. This was my third time seeing Sir Rod in concert. By the time Rod hit the stage with his big ass band Rogers Place was packed. Ol' Rod can still fill a coliseum.

What surprised me was Rod Stewart opening his show with the song "Addicted To Love" a Robert Palmer song, weird! For a man at 78 years old, Rod can still put on a hell of show. Lots of energy and his voice still sounds great too. After opening with a cover song, he played one of his own "You Wear It Well" and then a song from his Faces day "Ooh La La". That was the only faces song he did unfortunately. I'd love to see him get that band back together. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by the opening song being a cover song as Rod does play a lot of other peoples song, such as CCR's "Have You Seen The Rain", Tom Waits "Downtown Train", a Cat Stevens song and Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately?". Then his back up singers did the Pointer Sisters song "I'm So Excited" while rod had a outfit change. I was very happy to hear Rod play "Maggie May" and "Young Turks" and of course he did a few corny songs like "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and "Infatuation". 

 I loved seeing how much Rod Stewart looked to be having a good time and really enjoying himself performing. The man still has it! A fun show as always from Sir Rod. Good times!!!

Rod Stewart.














No comments:

Post a Comment