Sunday, April 19, 2009

Record Store Day Purchases

Well, yesterday was Record Store Day and I managed to get out and checkout most of the record stores on Whyte Ave. My goal was to purchase something at every record store I went to. Mission accomplished. It was nice to see all the shops were busy, with some good specials at all the record stores.
My first stop was at Blackbyrd Myoozik where they had all their stock 20% off and had a good deal on used CD's, buy 2 and get one free. I found 2 Blitzen Trapper CD's I didn't even know existed at Blackbyrd, a self titled album and an album called Field Rexx, and for my free CD I got the Talking Heads - Fear Of Music album
Next stop was Southside Sound, which unfortunatelly will be closing their doors soon. Which is too bad, this shop has been on Whyte Ave for as long as I can recall. Over the years I have bought many an album at this record store. All their stock now is marked at 20% off. At Southside Sound I got Warren Zevon's Live album recorded at The Roxy called Stand In The Fire, I got this album on vinyl.
Now off to Megatunes which is right across the street from Southside Sound. This shop has been on Whyte Ave for about 5 years now. I go to this record store on a regular basis. The guys at Megatunes are good people and treat me good, giving me some deals on albums and Clint always manages to talk me into buying a little extra. He has turned me onto a few bands which I may never had listned to or even knew of if not for his recomendation. Here I got a couple slabs of vinyl, I got the Robert Plant and Alison Kraus collaboration Raising Sand on double vinyl, and also purchased Daniel Johnston's Artistic Vice and 1990 album on vinyl. They had some deals their as well with 4 dollars off regular priced music, and 10 dollars off box sets, they also had a bunch of CD's for real cheap, where I was able to find Boneclub's Bellow album for 1 dollar, which they gave to me free. Thanks Megatunes.
Last stop for the day was Sound Connection, which moved back to Whyte Ave about 2years ago. Sound Connection has been around forever as well, and is where as a teen I bought 90 percent of my music. My brother and I used to make the trek downtown every Saturday morning as teens and buy all kinds of music, that and skip school and hang out at Sound Connection. If your looking for some old school metal albums, this is the place to checkout. They too had all their stock on for 20% off. Here I bought all kinds of stuff. They have a box of CD's on the front counter for 2 bucks a piece, where I managed to find some good stuff, I got the Supersuckers first album The Smoke Of Hell and La Mando Cornuda which is a fucking awesome balls out rock album and also one Of Supersuckers later albums called Paid, also in the 2 dollar bin I got Youth Brigade - To Sell The Truth, Sparta - Wiretap Scars and Zeke's double album Til The Livin' End all for 2 dollars a piece plus 20% off, sweet deal. I also got a triple live album by The Allman Brothers Band at Jones Beach, Wantagh, NY 8/24/04 for 20 dollars and last but not least Kick Axe's album Welcome To The Club on vinyl for 6 dollars, like I say, a great place to find some old metal.
Overall it was great day of record shopping on Whyte Avenue. Plans for today... drink some beers and listen to some new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment