Sunday, September 6, 2009

Black Crowes Album Review


The new Black Crowes album Before The Frost... came out on Tuesday Sept.1st, I was lucky enough to get myself a copy of it on vinyl (white and green vinyl). The vinyl issue comes with both albums, as on CD you get the Before The Frost... album, and it comes with a code to download the other part of the album ... Until The Freeze.
I have been a big Black Crowes fan since there inception in 84, I believe, have seen them numerous times live, opening for Heart and Robert Plant when they only had the one album out. Since then have seen them headline more then a few times. So I may be a bit biased towards them being such a fan of all their albums. But have to say this new album is one of there better albums in a while. They are now an independant band, doing there own thing on there own label (Silver Arrow Records) this album was recorded at Levon Helm's (drummer and singer of The Band) studio in Woodstock,New York. Some of this album was recorded live at Levon's Midnight Rambler sessions in his barn venue. Sounds like that would be a really cool plce to see a show.
I have listened to the album 3 times now, and each time I like it that much more. Stand out tracks thus far are, Garden Gate, Shine Along, Good Morning Captain and the single which is kind of disco like, but really really good I Ain't Hiding, Chris Robinson's voice is sounding awesome, there is no mistaking his voice.
I have been watching tour dates for The Crowes and see they have played a few dates opening for Levon Helm, now that would be a fucking wicked double bill to see. Hope that bill makes it's way to Edmonton.
Overall I would give this album a 7 out of 10. Great Sunday morning drinking music!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, this Crowes album just keeps growing on a person. Some really excellent, soulful music here. Like Dave Letterman said..."that's exactly what we're looking for" Note: If you wake up in the morning and can't find your keys, chances are they are in the sugar bowl"

    ReplyDelete