Saturday, September 26, 2009

Favorite Shows Of 2004

The year 2004 for concerts here in Edmonton was a hurting year. This is probably the least amount of shows I have ever been to in the course of a year. I did manage to see a some good ones, which I will now tell you about.
April 9th, I got to see David Bowie, my second time seeing him in concert. I won these tickets from the radio station K97, nice tickets too, row 2 centre on the floor,sweet.
Opening for Bowie this time was a band called The Polyphonic Spree, whom I have liked for a few years before I got to see them live. This band consists of like 20 people or so. Almost cult like, all dressed in the same outfit.
I missed some of the opener because I was arguing with security, little did I know, that after buying a couple of 7 dollar beers, that I wasn't allowed to bring my drinks to my seats on the floor, what the fuck is that. There was no sign at the beer stand saying I couldn't take my drinks to the floor, utter bullshit that is. So there I am, trying to down two fucking draft beers, which sucks to start(hate draft beer) have never seen that enforced at a show or since, no beers on the floor, fuck you.
Anyways, after logging a complaint with security about this stupid rule, I managed to down my beers and getting to my row 2 seats and catch the last couple of songs from Polyphonic Spree, which was excellent, great opener for Bowie.
David Bowie sounded great at this show, I was very impressed how good he sounded, the man still has his voice intact. This was an awesome show. I went to this show with my Cuz, after having to talk him into going, Cuz not being a fan of Bowie, and I had no one else to go to the show with, he fiinally releneted and came to the show with me. I believe after seeing Bowie in concert, My cousin ended up really appreciating who Bowie is, and how good of an entertainer Bowie really is.
Great show and a really good time was had, and for free :)
Another band I finally got to see was WASP. I have been a huge fan of WASP since the mid eighties. I never got to see them in there hey days, with Chris Holmes on guitar, but nonetheless, I finally got to see Blackie Lawless and his hired band. And I was not let down at all, this was an excellent show and a really good time, this show brought out all the old metal fans. WASP were an extreme band back in the day. Balckie still flinged his hair around like he used to, way back when. I went to this show with my Cuz and A-Bomb and had an awesome time. Brought back some old memories, that's for sure.This show was a long time coming being such a big WASP fan when I was a teenager. Good time was had by all!!!!


On December 7th of this year Janis and I went to see the Godfather of Soul Mr. James Brown in concert at the Shaw Convention Centre. Janis actually won these tickets from The Edmonton Sun. This was a pretty good show, James sounded good and his back up band was tight. At the age of 71, James could still bust a move and belt out I Feel Good through out the show. What surprised me, was that there were only a few thousand people at the show. I'm glad I got to see him when I did, he passed away two years later.


Other concerts I went to in this year of very few shows were, Henry Rollins spoken word performance at the Winspear Centre, Clutch with The Bakerton Group at Red's, Maximum Rock n Roll at Stars, SNFU with Misery Signals and Too Pure To Die at The Starlite Room, and finally Gwar with Dying Fetus and All That Remains at Red's.

1 comment:

  1. That WASP show rocked didn't it? It was the last show I saw before moving out to B.C. Blackie was a freak (as usual) and that mic stand of his....what can I say??? Really good show considering. Loved when they did "Im Blind In Texas" Glad I got to see them. To think we had tix to see them 20 years earlier with Krokus, a show that was inevitably cancelled. This show made me feel like I was 14 y.o. all over again.

    ReplyDelete