Monday, September 28, 2009

Gaslight Anthem Concert Review



On Saturday September 26th a great quadruple bill come through town at The Edmonton Events Centre (Red's), yay, finally a weekend show, thank goodness, cause every band on this bill I wanted to see.I was in for a long night of some wicked music. The bill consisted of Gaslight Anthem headlining (this was there second time here this year, having played The Starlite Room in April) other bands on the bill were Frank Turner from England, The Loved Ones and Murder By Death.
The evening started early with Frank Turner hitting the stage a little after 7pm. Earl and I made sure to be there for Frank and weren't disappointed. It was just him and his guitar and fuck was he ever good. He played with a lot of emotion and really belted out his songs. I was very impressed with him. he reminds me of Billy Bragg a bit.
One of my favorite parts of his set was when he played the song Photosynthesis with the great sing along chorus, which everyone that was there sang along too " Now I'll Play, And You Sing - The Perfect Way For The Evening To Begin, I Won't Sit Down And I Won't Shut Up And Most Of All I Won't Grow Up" what a great line.
After his set, I went to the merch table to buy something, when I ran into Frank himself working the table. He was nice enough to autograph a CD for me and thank me for coming out.


Next band of the evening was The Loved Ones from Philadelphia. I have to admit, I didn't know much about this band other then my brother telling me that they were really good. And he was right, The Loved Ones rocked the joint, they were loud and played with a lot of energy. The music they play is I guess punk rock, kind of reminded me of The Bouncing Souls actually. I was very impressed by them. They had their second guitarist back in the fold after having missed the previous 3 shows cause of a family crisis. They sounded great and would go see them again the next time they come through town.



Next up was Murder By Death a band from Indiana, with a name like this you would expect a thrash metal kind of sound, but they actually kind of have a alt-country/punk sound. I thought they were pretty good, they had a lady that played the electric cello, she was fun to watch. I enjoyed there set, but by then, it was time for a smoke and the bladder had finally sprung a leak, so I didn't actually see there whole set. What I did hear, I liked.


The final band of the evening was of course Gaslight Anthem. And they fucking rocked again. This is one of my favorite bands in the past year. They are from new Jersey and have a bit of the Boss sound in them, great songs with great stories. They were tight and sounded excellent, playing for about 75 minutes. Can't wait til they put out some new music again. By the time they hit the stage the place was quite full and Earl and I were well on out way to a good glow on. Great evening of live music with four good bands. I give this show a 9 out of 10. The only reason it doesn't get a 10, is cause I fucking hate the venue where the show was.
Good times!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment