Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Corb Lund Album Review


In late September Corb Lund and his band The Hurtin' Albertans released their latest album Losin' Lately Gambler on the American label New West Records (home to such as artists as Drive By Truckers,Steve Earle,Kris Kristofferson and many other blues/roots bands). I am glad it took me a while before I reviewed it, cause on my first few listens, I didn't much care for it. Now after hearing it for over a month, I have to say it is quite good. His band Hurtin' Albertans are sounding good and Corb is still singing about the ranch life and songs with Canadian themes such as Long Gone To Saskatchewan, one of my fave tracks on the album, he even gives a shout out to Stompin' Tom Connors in this song, and well he should. he also has a song called Alberta Says Hello and This Is My Prarie, so there is no fear of Corb forgetting where he comes from. Other stand out tracks to me are, A Game In Town Like This,Steel Rider's Blues. And to end the album, is a live version of Time To Switch To Whiskey recorded at festival in Australia, this song was originally on his album Five Dollar Bill(on Stony Plain Records).
Also, if you look, there is a special edition of the CD that comes with a DVD of his live performance recorded at The Edmonton Coliseum in April of 2008, a show that I was at. I have seen Corb play 10 times, and is always a good time, if ever given the chance to see Cob Lund play, I highly recommend checking him out.
Overall, I give this album a 7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment